Will E-Z caps suffice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanr9ne

Reaction score
I was looking for the most cost and energy efficient way to bottle before actually getting my feet wet in this glorious hobby. After searching through a few homebrew websites and looking at bottling i came across these 32 oz bottles using the E-Z cap system (http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/2060?gclid=CLut78qMi5ICFQgRGgodpTd0Dw) about half way down on that link. Would these caps keep the oxygen out, or is there something totally wrong with using these bottles?

Also are these caps reusable? The website says so but then they make an effort to sell you replacements, so i just wanted to make sure.
Thanks in advance guys.

Those should work just fine, but they are very expensive! It looks like $33 for 12? Thats a lot, I think. I use Grolsch bottles (same principal) and you can reuse the caps but after a few uses, you should replace those rubber gaskets. You can tell when they get worn and don't seal well any more.

You could also just use regular beer bottles and those are free at dumpsters or if you drink a lot of Sam Adams beer! They use regular caps, and are easy to use too.

It's up to you, of course. Those EZ caps do work.

They're fine..but geez for 2 cases of beer that's pretty expensive...Buy a wing capper and 144 caps for 15 bucks and do like the rest of us do...and spend the other 45 bucks you'd save on ingredients and other beertoys...em I mean beertools :D

And collect swingtop grolsh and other bottles like it and save those for special, bigger beers and apfelweins..Collecting and Emptying them is half the fun. And it's cheeper...you get the bottles AND the beer.

I guess i could put those 100 something bottles on display in my room to good use huh? Problem is i have to figure out which ones were twisties....i kinda forgot

I know my Boulevards are twists....
Anyone know about these?

Lost Coast Brewery
Saranac
Petes Wicked Ale
Goose Island
Flying Dog
Flying Monkey
Blue Moon

ughhh ill post the rest later...just finished my last midterm and my mind is shot...spring break!

Just look at them...

If there are threads at the top where the cap goes, it's a twist-off.

If there are no threads, no amount of twisting would remove the cap.

seanr9ne said:
I guess i could put those 100 something bottles on display in my room to good use huh? Problem is i have to figure out which ones were twisties....i kinda forgot

I know my Boulevards are twists....
Anyone know about these?

Lost Coast Brewery
Saranac
Petes Wicked Ale
Goose Island
Flying Dog
Flying Monkey
Blue Moon

ughhh ill post the rest later...just finished my last midterm and my mind is shot...spring break!

I'm pretty sure most of those are twistoffs....If you're going to spend spring break in bars...raid their dumpsters for pop off empties...

Now if you were a SMART college kid, you would have brewed something 6 weeks ago...and could be getting tanked on YOUR OWN beer for spring break :D

(These kids thes days...no foresight...sheesh!!!):fro:

Have fun!

:mug:

i like the swing top bottles but had a problem with a few not sealing. Flat beer. but most work well.

tiko said:
i like the swing top bottles but had a problem with a few not sealing. Flat beer. but most work well.

Same - you sometimes get the occasional bottle that doesn't seal properly and is either flat or catches an infection.

Revvy said:
I'm pretty sure most of those are twistoffs....If you're going to spend spring break in bars...raid their dumpsters for pop off empties...

Now if you were a SMART college kid, you would have brewed something 6 weeks ago...and could be getting tanked on YOUR OWN beer for spring break :D

(These kids thes days...no foresight...sheesh!!!):fro:

Have fun!

:mug:

That was my original plan...but i just started looking into homebrewing this week, and realized it was much too late for that....my goal is to convince my dad to pitch in with me over the summer cus he loves his Pale Ales.

I found 32 oz swing cap bottles at IKEA. They work great I have reused them 5 or 6 times before replacing the rubber ,only thing is they are clear:( so I have to keep them in the dark. Best part they were 99 cents each

springer said:
I found 32 oz swing cap bottles at IKEA. They work great I have reused them 5 or 6 times before replacing the rubber ,only thing is they are clear:( so I have to keep them in the dark. Best part they were 99 cents each

Really?....cool..

They'd be great Meads and Apfelweins...
Another reason to love IKEA!

Back