1BBL Stainless Single Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
Ive been meaning to start this thread for some time now but havent gotten around to it until now. My brew partners and I started designing our second system recently. The stand was the first thing we needed. We currently brew on a 3 Keggle Herms system but do not have a dedicated stand. We decided that a nice stand was the building block for our new 1BBL setup. I came across a smoking deal on some SS 3" Angle Iron which we decided would be just what we needed to support our new 42G barrels that we ordered from Bubbas Barrels. In order to give our setup the desired bling we decided that it should be polished prior to all of the welding being done. Lucky for me I have a neighbor who is a welder and also happens to like home brew. This combo along with the great deal on the stand materials made this whole thing a little nicer on the pocketbook.

The pics show the original SS vs the polished and the stand as it began being welded. You can see the top and bottom welded up before the welds were cleaned up with the flap disc. The last pic shows what a difference the grinding makes in the finished look.

SS Angle Iron being polished.JPG

Stand at Matthews.JPG

Stand Top and Bottom Sections.JPG

Weld before and after cleanup.JPG

With the stand on its way we placed our order from Bubba's Barrels. We decided on 42G Barrels for our system. We wanted to be able to still do 10G batches while also having the capability to do larger batches or bigger beers. We will mostly do 15-20G batches of our "goto" brews while still being able to easily do 10G batches for new beers. We will most likely also keep our Keggle setup for expirements and if we ever want to do smaller 5G batches. We ordered the Barrels and they arrived not to long after. As you can see by the photos these things are massive. They make the Keggles look tiny. We then placed our order for all of the fittings from Bargain Fittings. I spoke to Wayne and asked if they would custom cut a sight glass for me to 24" to fit the barrels and he agreed. He was very helpful and we highly recommend bargain fittings. They have always been great for us. With the fittings in hand we drilled the barrels and installed the fittings. We only had a small leak but tighted up the weldless fittings and they are now holding water without any issue. We decided to go with a sight glass on both BK and HLT and will be doing a side pickup in both as well. We drained and measured and we can pick up all but 1/2G from a 42G barrel. Success!!. We will whirlpool in the BK with a portable whirlpool attachment I made to fit the barrels from 3/8 SS tube I had.

Barrels Size Comparison.JPG

Barrel vs Keggle Comparison.JPG

Fittings From Bargain Fittings.JPG

HLT Interior Fittings.JPG

Holding Oxy Water Test.JPG

On my birthday I was having a big BBQ and my neighbor wheeled over my 90% finished stand as my bday present. WOW!! Thing is killer. We added 4 locking castors and are planning on beefing it up with 2 more in the middle to make sure there are no issues with the weight. As you can see it is a thing of beauty. It definitely has the BLING factor with the only non-stainless item being the copper immersion chiller/HEX coil. All connections are SS Cam-locks. I am currently looking into a stainless hex coil but still trying to decide if I want it permant and exactly how big it should be as it will need to be custom made. We are considering going to a plate chiller but still a lot of planning to go into the setup. My neighbor welded on a custom handle for the stand and it makes wheeling it around a breeze.

Attached are some pics of some different configurations. We originally only ordered 2 of the 42G barrels thinking that we might go with a 30G Mash Tun but after seeing the big boys on the stand we have decided we have to go for the 3rd 42G and finish this thing off right. As you can see in the last picture we are working on pump placement and need to get the burner mounts in place as well. Getting very close to taking this thing on its maiden voyage.

Stand Keggle Setup With Large BK.JPG

42 With Fittings installed.JPG

Stand Complete #1.JPG

2 big boys one keggle.JPG

Pump Options.JPG

From experience with my 1 bbl rig, watch the heat exhaust coming off the burners. You will probably need to put a heat shield under you sight gauge.

Looks very nice. Yours is a bit higher than mine. These are ~56 gallon kettles
big501.jpg

We added 4 locking castors and are planning on beefing it up with 2 more in the middle to make sure there are no issues with the weight.

If those castors are bolted on, I would move them to the outside corners so they are under the upright. Where they are now, they're putting a lot of bending force on the horizontal pieces.

Looks Great love the pump! Please be sure the inlet tothe pump is unrestricted...this could cause you probs

On my birthday I was having a big BBQ and my neighbor wheeled over my 90% finished stand as my bday present. WOW!! Thing is killer. We added 4 locking castors and are planning on beefing it up with 2 more in the middle to make sure there are no issues with the weight. As you can see it is a thing of beauty. It definitely has the BLING factor with the only non-stainless item being the copper immersion chiller/HEX coil. All connections are SS Cam-locks. I am currently looking into a stainless hex coil but still trying to decide if I want it permant and exactly how big it should be as it will need to be custom made. We are considering going to a plate chiller but still a lot of planning to go into the setup. My neighbor welded on a custom handle for the stand and it makes wheeling it around a breeze.

Attached are some pics of some different configurations. We originally only ordered 2 of the 42G barrels thinking that we might go with a 30G Mash Tun but after seeing the big boys on the stand we have decided we have to go for the 3rd 42G and finish this thing off right. As you can see in the last picture we are working on pump placement and need to get the burner mounts in place as well. Getting very close to taking this thing on its maiden voyage.

From experience with my 1 bbl rig, watch the heat exhaust coming off the burners. You will probably need to put a heat shield under you sight gauge.

Looks very nice. Yours is a bit higher than mine. These are ~56 gallon kettles
big501.jpg

Thanks Wayne. We are definitely considering the heat shield for the sight gauges. We were thinking that the 3" hangover from the angle iron might be enough protection but if not we will definitely be adding something in.

Thanks again for helping us out and cutting to the size we needed. Glad you get to see where some of your fittings ended up. Our stand is about 6" higher than the original plan was for. There was a slight miscommunication with my welder and it ended up being 6" taller than anticipated. Oh well. It seems that no matter how much you plan on these things there are always going to be a couple things that end up slightly different. Just happy to see the progress and finally feel like we are getting close to finishing her up. Thanks again Wayne :mug:

Pat

If those castors are bolted on, I would move them to the outside corners so they are under the upright. Where they are now, they're putting a lot of bending force on the horizontal pieces.

The castors are actually welded on and you can see that we moved the left side further out already. I made the mistake of getting my welder drunk and then letting him go to town on it while he was hammered. Anyways, once we get the other two castors we are planning to put them in the middle and then test it out and adjust if needed. The steel angle iron that we used is rather thick (1/4" maybe) and I think we would most likely be good with just the 4 castors since we rarely plan on filling these babies up but better to be safe than sorry. I am going to put some water in them tonight while on the stand and see how it reacts.

Thanks for the input bja.

We love our chugger pumps. The restricted side in the last pic is the output. Still trying to figure out exactly where the pumps will be mounted. I would have liked to mounted the chugger under the frame but I dont have enough clearance there to do so. Its looking like it will be just above the lower bar about the same level as my other pump. Would I have any issue with the input of the pump down as in the picture with a 90 degree elbow and camlock for the input?

The castors are actually welded on and you can see that we moved the left side further out already. I made the mistake of getting my welder drunk and then letting him go to town on it while he was hammered. Anyways, once we get the other two castors we are planning to put them in the middle and then test it out and adjust if needed. The steel angle iron that we used is rather thick (1/4" maybe) and I think we would most likely be good with just the 4 castors since we rarely plan on filling these babies up but better to be safe than sorry. I am going to put some water in them tonight while on the stand and see how it reacts.

Thanks for the input bja.

The problem is, angle iron will twist very easily. Watch them closely when you start putting weight on it.

Atl300zx said:
did i meet you recently at a bottle sharing at Wild Wing?

Not to be off topic, but can u give more info about the bottle sharing in Atl?

Why not stainless wind shields? Any advice on special designs. Planning 6" shields with burners mounted about 4" under the kettle. Wondering about airflow needed and possibly putting in an electric push button igniter. Anyone using a BBQ igniter?

image-556917762.jpg

image-2678501371.jpg

image-2441798582.jpg

StainlessBrewing said:
Exactly...why not stainless! Loving this build.

Thanks!! I've been meaning to give you a call about a custom HEX coil for the system. I was thinking something like 75'-100' 1/2" coiled to around 19" diameter. It will be mounted in the HLT. What kind of height would a coil like that be?

Earlier this month I was only a couple blocks away from you, now I'm back in the oven! Wish I could move to GA.

75ft x 1/2" x 19"OD is about 7.5"-8.5" tall
100ft x 1/2" x 19"OD is about 10"-11" tall

Oh man. Next time you are out this way let me know and Ill have you over for a brew. Its finally starting to get hot out here after a mild Spring. We are supposed to get to 101 on Friday and the humidity is now in full affect. Its not 115 or anything but with the humidity it sure sucks. Guess its the price we pay for a beautiful fall and spring.

I will take some measurements on the coil and get back with you shortly. Things are hectic right now but I'm trying to keep chunking things out on the system and get her ready to brew. Thanks for the info!!

Pat

Hey guys,

CoalCracker - We have brewed on it a few times now and it has worked out great so far. We have done 20G batches but I dont think we would have any problem with a 10G batch other than the fact that its a whole lot easier to leave 1G behind in a vessel this size. We also kept a Keggle mash tun that we would use on a 10G batch. So although I havent done it I would think that 10G batch would be feasible on our setup.

Hopsalot - We really like the barrels. They did need a little extra cleaning when they showed up just to really get them ready to go but we have been very pleased. We actually bought a 3rd and got a monster false bottom from Jaybird so we basically have a Keggle setup on steriods.

I need to get out and take some photos and update this thread. My brew partner and I have been busy as hell lately getting our new business off of the ground so I havent been lurking on HBT as much lately. I will try to take some new pics and get them uploaded. I still need to get the wind shields finished and pumps mounted but for now at least it is functional.

Great! Looking to upgrade here as soon as I sell my current brewery. This will probably be the last upgrade as a residential brewery. So I would like to be able to do a 10g batch as well as a 1bbl batch. Or close to it. I can get a gatorade cooler for a 10 gallon batch. Or cut up a keggle to use. I brew with occasionally a few people and would like to be able to split a batch. They seem like a good deal.

I picked up the upper ring today and will build the basket this weekend. I should have your order shipped next week. Thanks for your patience.

Well, we got our shipment in from Zach at Stainless Brewing. The coil is stunning and the only issue was that our hop strainer got really jacked up in transit. I let Zach know right away and he has been working with us to resolve the issue. Sucks that we have to wait a little longer for the final product but will be worth it because it will be a beauty.

In meantime, we thought we'd share a picture of this beast.. It is 12 5/8" x 23" @ 400 micron

i-Gj9qrXx-L.jpg

Along with the strainer we also picked up a 100' 1/2" SS Coil for our HEX Coil. This pic kind of makes it look small.

i-r2mFwkp-L.jpg

Shot of the outside of HLT with HEX mounted.

i-zsfntpn-L.jpg

Here are a few pics of some upgrades since its been so long. First shows the pumps mounted.

i-v5vBnTs-L.jpg

Windshields finally mounted

i-gdSjBZW-L.jpg

Finally starting to get organized. Scored this fridge off craigslist and cleaned it up. Now its full of hops, yeast, beer, glasses and whatever else needs a home.

i-9wHwZLr-L.jpg

I think this is our consensus best buy of 2012. Call us crazy but we still smile every time we stop and admire our SS Mash paddle.

i-wTSWfPm-L.jpg

This is another big upgrade. 60 Plate Chiller from dudadeisel.

i-HHrhJxq-L.jpg

Fittings for new hoses, HEX coil and whirlpool from Stainless brewing. The fittings were great. Not a huge fan of the bulkhead as it reduces flow a bit more than the other bulkheads I have but the tradeoff is you dont have to drill another hole. We will be putting together the new hoses shortly but are once again waiting on another shipment for more silicon hose that the LHBS was out of last week.

i-hfrhJV8-L.jpg

Round 1 of new pics has been completed and Ill try to post some more pics tomorrow when I get some time. :mug:

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but do you have pictures, or can you talk about the whirlpool a little? (Nice build, BTW) I'm building a 1 BBL system and i'm worried about being able to get that much volume moving fast enough to get good trub separation. Do you find that the pump you have is adequate for this?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you aludwig. I just saw your message. I need to add some more photos and will do so soon. We ended up ordering a 1/2" SS racking cane, cutting it down and mounting it in our BK for our whirlpool. It does a pretty good job of moving the liquid around but is probably right on the edge of wanting to step up the pumps. Its just a lot of volume in the BK when full. It definitely gets things moving but I wouldnt go much bigger than this without a bigger pump. Now that we are at this size if I had it to do over again I might upgrade the pumps and possibly even go to 3/4" on all fittings. It takes us about 12 minutes to completely drain our HLT or BK with pump in our current setup.

Back