campfire stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneakypete

Reaction score
Okay, this is a little late since I have the stuff at my house for it now, and I'm giong to brew it tomorrow night, but I wanted to see if I could get a last minute critique. I was looking for a stout that had tastes of smores and a hint of smoke aroma and flavor. I'm not the greatest recipe maker ever, but here is what I have. I'm going with a 2.5 gallon batch in case it turns out bad.

Steep the following for 25 minutes after bringing water to boil
1 lb. Munich malt/dark grains
1 lb. smoked malt
.25 lb. crystal malt
.25 lb. chocolate malt
.25 lb. roasted barley

boil:
60 min. 3.3 lbs. Muntons Dark Liquid Malt Extract
.25 lbs. Hershey Milk Chocolate Coaco
.5 oz. Clusters hops

5 min. 1 oz. fuggles hops

I'm using that wyeast california yeast
In the primary I wanted to put in .2 oz. graham cracker flavoring and .5 oz. marshmallow flavoring, then at bottling add .2 oz. more graham cracker flavoring and 5 oz. marshmallow flavoring.

What do you all think?

i think the s'mores flavor could be achieved with a touch of biscuit malt and some heavily carmelized (burnt/blackened until it smells like burnt marshmallows) sugar.
Don't use milk chocolate, use some powdered baking chocolate (check the standard amounts used in chocolate stouts), that way you won't be putting dairy into your beer, and you'll get a better chocolate flavor.
I would suggest trying your recipe (without using milk chocolate), and then do another small batch with the biscuit malt and carmelized sugar.

Do let us know how this turns out, it sounds interesting.

What do you mean by "Munich malt/dark grains"? Is it Munich or dark grains? You've already got dark grains in the chocolate & roast barley. What color is the crystal?

What type of smoked malt is that? 1lb of cherry or rauchmalt in that grist should be very noticeable, whereas 1lb of peat smoked malt would be undrinkable to most.

The package says munich malt/dark german on it from beer and wine hobby, but the grains are light in color.
The smoked malt is weyermann smoked malt 2 row barley malt EBC 4-8/Lovibond 1.1-3.6

UPDATE
I'm brewing as we speak. I smelled the smoked grains and they smelled real smokey, so I backed off and added 1/2 lb. instead. I love the smell of brew day/night!

Everything is in the primary and ready to go. Smells good! I'll keep everyone posted once I bottle and such!

The package says munich malt/dark german on it from beer and wine hobby, but the grains are light in color.
The smoked malt is weyermann smoked malt 2 row barley malt EBC 4-8/Lovibond 1.1-3.6

Okay, Dark Munich, that's cool. They'll still be light - dark vs light munich is only a difference of 2-4 SRM. The smoked malt, although smelling strong, won't impart as huge of a flavor as the scent, but you were right in cutting back. Better to start low and work your way up come the next batch.

Any word on the crystal? 20, 40, 120?

It's still bubbling away. I probably have about a week or two left before bottle time! I'm excited for it to be ready!

Back