Aerator Tubing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egaberik

Reaction score
I have bought all the parts for a aquarium pump aeration systems but have one question. The output from the aquarium pump is 1/8" but the HEPA filter input is 1/4". I should have checked this before I brewed my first brew the other day but ended up finding out too late. Where can you buy an adapter so I can make it work for my next brew?

you should be able to find a plastic reducer that will work at lowes or somewhere similar.

For an adapter check your local hardware store. Basically you can use compression fittings meant for soft copper, but you must use brass inserts to keep the tubing from collapsing. They fit inside the tube and have a flange on the end. We sold these at the hardware store I worked at for years in the plumbing section.

Before you do that though, if your hose is the clear type and not the milk white, try heating it and forcing it onto the larger fitting. 1/8 to 1/4 would be a stretch, but I've seen that stuff be forced onto many a barbed fitting I would never have believed it would have made it. Multiple attempts at heating with a cigarette lighter held below at a reasonable distance from the flame and pushing onto the barb just might do it.

Bill

Thanks for the help. I will give these options a go.

I also should add, when it comes to fittings it is based on OD (outside diameter) not ID (inside diameter). You will have to know the OD before you go so you can get the right stuff.

What I have found when doing stuff like this....TAKE YOUR pieces with you. That way you don't get home with crap that don't fit and the store is closed. Cause there are several TYPES of fittings whose same sizes don't mesh with each other as well.

What I have found when doing stuff like this....TAKE YOUR pieces with you. That way you don't get home with crap that don't fit and the store is closed. Cause there are several TYPES of fittings whose same sizes don't mesh with each other as well.

+1. Your going to have difficulty getting the right size tubing if you don't have your parts, because as I said they are named by OD and not ID, which ID would be what you are measuring if your measuring the barbs you have to get onto.

In all honesty though I think heat and elbow grease will get you there with one tube. I looked at my set up from Northern Brewer, which is a Whisper pump, and it appears to be just like yours. I got my pieces together this way, but be advised I couldn't pull them apart. Easily fixed however, by cutting a split in the hose under the barb when needed and I have enough hose to last a life time on what they sent.:tank:

Back