Shaking bottels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you are bottle carbonating, wait about 5 days before you shake so that your co2 concentration in the head space is adequate to prevent oxidation. or you can shake right away like i used to :drunk:

Shouldn't be too much of an issue since the yeast will get to the oxygen before it will start to oxidize the beer. Oxidation takes a while to be noticeable (couple months).

I normally shake all my beer at the end of the first week, just to stir things up and make sure the yeast has worked on all the bottling sugar. The exception is wheat beer, which I shake at 3-4 days because I like to give it a week to settle before I drink it.

I have only shook the ones I was going to drink on day three (or so) in the bottle. By day five most of mine are carbed anyway. Now I have enough beer I can wait. I think I'll have another APA.

Back