Electricl boil keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicalEd

Reaction score
Anybody ever hear of one? I'll be moving into an apartment with an electric stove and zero patio/balcony space, so I've been trying to think of alternatives, and nothing else has struck a bell yet.

Now yes, I am very keenly aware that traditionally electric kettles aren't used for boilers as the easiest form of construction, with the element stuck inside of the kettle, will burn wort very easily. So the issue becomes avoiding this burning.

This tells me that the element (could not be standard water heater element) will either need to be affixed somehow to the exterior of the kettle, or used in a double-boiler arrangement with oil. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas with regards to any of this? Any flashes of insight on as to what might make a good double boiler to hold a keggle?

Thanks in advance!

Several people here have used elements in direct conact with the wort and I have not heard a single complaint about scorching. The only time I have heard of scorching is using an element in the Mash Tun in direct contact with the grain. Stirring seems to remedy it. Just food for thought.

A little OT. Technically the element shouldnt be able to get any hotter than 212F because the water in the wort will evaporate and carry it away. I dont know what temp sugar starts to burn but it must be greater than 212F.

When heating with direct fire LP or natural Gas you are introducing ALOT more power/heat (WATTs, BTUs, what ever you want to call it) to the bottom of the Keggle than one large element could ever hope to.

Hmmmm, I suppose you make a good point there :D. I just know that a lot of fellas in the distilling forums I frequent (just out of curiosity, I swear ;) ) have issues with grain washes and direct element contact.

Ok, so assuming that it should work, do my element sizing maths sound right?

total water mass = 6 gallons*3.75 L/gal *1000g/L = 22500g
thermal capacity of water: 4.19*J/(C*g)
So total thermal inertia = 94.3kJ/C

typical thermal differential to boil: 100*C-60*C = 40*C
So total energy needed = 40*94.3KJ =3,771,000J

Given a warmup time of 20 minutes = 1200 seconds, you'd need a wattage of 3.77M/1200 = 3142 watts...dang, that's pretty high for a 15 amp circuit (some might even say impossible)! Never mind any losses due to poor insulation. With a 1250 watt elements, that's looking at a 50 minute wait time to get to boiling.

Ok then, given 1250 watts, what is the evaporation rate?
Enthalpy of vaporization ~ 2100KJ/Kg
1.250/2100 = .0006Kg/sec = .6g/sec = 2.16L/hour

Well....Dang. Looks like without a 20 amp circuit, or preferably a 220V circuit, an internal element probably won't work too well. Curses, I've been foiled again!

Check to see what size breaker you have on your over, good chance it is at least 30 Amps. if it is electric that is...
240V at 30 amps is plenty. You usually can pull out the pan drawer and unplug it. Make a plug for your element to go in there.

RadicalEd said:
Anybody ever hear of one? I'll be moving into an apartment with an electric stove and zero patio/balcony space, so I've been trying to think of alternatives, and nothing else has struck a bell yet.

Now yes, I am very keenly aware that traditionally electric kettles aren't used for boilers as the easiest form of construction, with the element stuck inside of the kettle, will burn wort very easily. So the issue becomes avoiding this burning.

This tells me that the element (could not be standard water heater element) will either need to be affixed somehow to the exterior of the kettle, or used in a double-boiler arrangement with oil. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas with regards to any of this? Any flashes of insight on as to what might make a good double boiler to hold a keggle?

Thanks in advance!

This is what I use and I NEVER have had a scorched wort that I know of.

Boil1.JPG

wilser-I think you may have miss-posted...Those links are for a refrigerator.

Virtuous: sadly, I can't check the circuit, as the circuit in question is in an apartment I'll be moving into in the fall. But I can be relatively sure that it won't be 240V. :(

Keiths: Sweet! What's your element size and heatup time, if you don't mind sharing?

Keiths: Sweet! What's your element size and heatup time said:
the elements are 4500w 240v extra low density & I can get 13 gal. boiling in around 30 min. from 160 deg mash out temp to boil.

Hmmmmm, maybe I'll get lucky and have an accessible plug, then :D. If so, then it's on!

Although now the thought of an induction heating element has caught my eye...Contact-less heat transfer and no welding/cutting required....Almost makes it cost effective :p.

EDIT: looks like you can get a 1800watt induction cooker on ebay for easily under $100...ohhhhh, the temptation :D. Just one would do in a pinch, but I'm sure a creative mind could figure out a way to use 2.

If you go that route your boil kettle will have to be stainless or iron. Doesnt work with non ferrous materials.

My Keggle tells me I'd be set :p.

But yeah, my old 15 gal aluminum pot wouldn't have worked.

Back