How bad is it for krausen to drop into beer and not notice for awhile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
I have to leave for the weekend now, with a beer in the primary since Saturday. If the krausen drops during the weekend, am I in trouble? I usually just rack to secondary once the krausen drops.

cutchemist42 said:
I have to leave for the weekend now, with a beer in the primary since Saturday. If the krausen drops during the weekend, am I in trouble? I usually just rack to secondary once the krausen drops.

No problem at all, in fact, unless you are dry hopping or adding anything to the beer you can leave it in the primary for up to a month with no issues and the beer will clear nicely:)

If you are basing the transfer to secondary on the krausen dropping you are probably transferring too early. I find that often the krausen drops after a couple of days. Reaching final gravity, which is when you should transfer, might not be for several more days.

I leave all my beers in primary for about 3 weeks then check for FG, then bottle.

Back