Son of fermentation chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcodd87

Reaction score
I brewed my first 2 batches
. 1. Autumn Amber Ale - which turned out ok but some off flavors because of temps

2. My pumpkin ale is bottle conditioning, but I've had a few in which it tastes ok so far.

Now I was getting ready to brew my third batch and I knew that temp control was a must. I have some friends who are contractors, so getting my hands on scrap insulation for nothing was easy. I ordered the electronics from THE COOLER GUYS.

I don't have the electronics yet and I probably won't have them until mon-tues.

The American IPA was brewed and then tossed into the son of fermentation chiller with a gallon of ice. The ice is lasting close to 2 days holding the temp at the low 60s. I'm sure once I get the thermostat and fan in place, it will work very good.

I would recommended any that's new or just anyone, to throw the swamp cooler out the window and go for the chamber cooling. Once I get the electronics and finish, I will gladly post pictures!

Well I got the insulation for free, so pretty much just the electronics, 50$

BUT, I went the easy route and purchased a thermostat already built for a CPU fan, and the power supply that comes with it. You could easily knock 50$ in half by purchasing a household thermostat and doing the wiring yourself. It seems fairly easy, I just didn't want to go that route.

I would say if you were to purchase the insulation and the the electronics yourself, I'm saying around 60$-70$

Back