Is this doable or just stupid....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyGHusk

Reaction score
So I have a hankering to brew me up a long term sour beer.

I have a cherry ale that I am not really happy with. I am wondering if it is possible to recarboy(that's right I just made up that word) it, as it is all bottled now, and add some fermentables and add some lacto and some oak and let it go at it for a while(months).

I can post the original recipe up if that would help.

If I am completely off my rocker and I would be much better off just starting over feel free(PLEASE) tell me so.

Thanks,

Tim

As a general rule of thumb, souring does not make a bad beer better. That said, if you have a free carboy for a period of months and the inclination to sour something, why not go for it?

Lacto doesn't like over 10 IBUs, so your better bet is probably to hit it with some Pedio + Brett (you'll want to pitch these together, as pedio can produce substantial diacytal along with lactic acid, but the brett will eat it up). I'd add some fermentables, too. Maybe a quarter to a half pound of maltodextrine and some simpler sugars.

Check http://www.themadfermentationist.com/ for a ton of info and notes on sour beers, too, if you haven't already.

Thanks for the link, I will head over there.

It's not that it is "bad" beer, so much as not what I was shooting for. I was trying to replicate a beer I brewed a while back.

Thanks,
Tim

Well what did you not like about the beer?
One idea is if you want that lacto sourness you can brew another batch. And just sour it with some lacto from grain. You can find more details about this on the Mad Fermentalist site. Or do a full on sour batch with commercial bugs maybe a lambic would pair well with your beer.
And then blend to taste with your cherry beer.

Back