Losing faith in Better-Bottle carboy closures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I am using a BB 6 gal with the NPT to 1/4 hose barb, the hose going to a class of water for an airlock. I checked on it this morning and found the water level in the hose to be at the same level as the water in the glass. If I lift the hose slowly and keep thy end still in the water, the water level in the hose stays even with the glass. When I put the hose back in the water, same result. This tells me that the pressure inside the carboy is equal to the outside.

The stopper/adapter/barb elbow were assembled wet with starsan. When I racked this to secondary, it was showing activity and pushing bubbles. Now if I give it a gentle rock, it pushes air down the hose, but then it equalized again.

Anyone seen this?

I really have no idea of what you have there.

I use a #10 stopper with an airlock or the Better Bottle blow off setup sold by Northern Brewer. I have had no problems.

The big stopper is pushed in, the small adapter is fully pushed in, the NPT part is tight, the hose is on past the second barb.

Latest posts

Back