VA beer Blitz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, wish they would have done a better job of advertising this to all the clubs in the state. Never heard about it...

Entered:
4C – Schwarzbier
5B – Bock #2A
5C – Dopplebock blend
6B – Creamy goodness ale
6C – Kolsch #3A
9D – Irish red ale
10B – Amber #1
10C – LKA Brown #2B
12B – Robust porter #2
14B – LKA IPA #3A
18B – Dubbel #1A
20A – Coconut porter

Good luck to all.

I dropped off a 6C Cream Ale yesterday. I think at last count, there were around 360 entries from 320 individual brewers.

Just got my score sheets. porter 25, amber ale 30, cider 29.

some helpful comments, some unhelpful comments and scores.

got 2/5 for mouthfeel from one judge on my robust porter. comments were "med. body, med. carbonation".

style guidelines: "Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth. May have a slight astringency from roasted grains, although this character should not be strong."

i wasnt planning on winning any ribbons, and just wanted feedback on my beers, so i don't care about the scores, but it does seem like they just pull it out of thin air for somethings. the BJCP judge gave the mouthfeel of that beer 5/5, so i'll go with that. the rest of his comments were helpful too, so i'm going to go based on what he said.

Just got my score sheets. porter 25, amber ale 30, cider 29.

some helpful comments, some unhelpful comments and scores.

got 2/5 for mouthfeel from one judge on my robust porter. comments were "med. body, med. carbonation".

style guidelines: "Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Moderately low to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have a slight alcohol warmth. May have a slight astringency from roasted grains, although this character should not be strong."

i wasnt planning on winning any ribbons, and just wanted feedback on my beers, so i don't care about the scores, but it does seem like they just pull it out of thin air for somethings. the BJCP judge gave the mouthfeel of that beer 5/5, so i'll go with that. the rest of his comments were helpful too, so i'm going to go based on what he said.

Got mine today as well, Brett Tripel 28, Wee Heavy 35. Two medals, not bad for each being a first run with each. The critiques I got on the Wee Heavy were ones I had myself (namely malt character was a little low), and I'd already tweaked my recipe to adjust, just haven't had a chance to rebrew it. My lowest score (a 25 on the Tripel) was from a BJCP judge and hands down the most helpful. Saying the base beer was great, but the Brett kicked off some strong bandaid phenols.

Got my 3 score sheets today. Two were entry 129, which is mine, one entry 139. Anyone get an entry 129?

Entered:
4C – Schwarzbier
5B – Bock #2A
5C – Dopplebock blend
6B – Creamy goodness ale
6C – Kolsch #3A
9D – Irish red ale
10B – Amber #1
10C – LKA Brown #2B
12B – Robust porter #2
14B – LKA IPA #3A
18B – Dubbel #1A
20A – Coconut porter

Good luck to all.

Haha! I've never had a beer named after me before! How did it do?

Back