My cider smells and which sugar for second fermintation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimike34

Reaction score
I have purchased an on the rocks apple cider kit. I put it all together on the 21st and last night I noticed a eggy smell coming from the lid. I checked it and it is still bubbling away. But it's coming up to 6 days so I need to put it in my demijohns now. And it just says sugar. Is that more brewing sugar or normal sugar cuz I have seen videos that just put normal sugar in. Many thanks

I'm not sure why you would move it or add sugar now, it's still in the primary fermentation stage. I would leave it alone until the fermentation slows some (if I was following the instructions) then rack onto some white or brown sugar in a secondary. The amount is set by the recipe I assume.

The instruction aren't very well set out. And it say move to barrel or johns after 5-7 day and just add 3-5 oz of sugar so would u say more brewing sugar or normal sugar? Does it matter?! So u saying leave in the bin til the bubbling slows right down? Many thanx

What do you mean by brewing sugar? Dextrose? Candi sugar? Any sugar works for what your doing. You can add the sugar in the primary though. Just take it off the lees when you want to age it.

It's up to you. If it was my first brew I would literally follow the directions. These days and knowing my preference probably not.

If the primary is still very active, I would assume some flex in the instructions and let it ride. Then as soon as it begins to slow rack to secondary on top of the 3-5oz of sugar.

There are so many differing opinions on cider and how it should be done. Some people leave it 3-4 days, rack it, and actually change vessels 3-4 times. Others do a secondary, some people never remove it from the primary.

My choice is almost always to let the primary go 10-14 days, or until fermentation has slowed a lot. If you look in my sig you can click on that recipe, and you will see an example of my style. Basically I like to aim for a specific gravity, and then rack to a secondary to finish out whatever my ultimate goal is. For a dry or hot cider you let it run a long time going for low gravity. For a sweeter cider you can wait a few days for some clearing to happen and than bottle.

You really need to experiment with a few batches using the same recipe and feel out what is right for you.

Back