Is this Havarti still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vir

Reaction score
We bought this Havarti cheese less than a month ago. It has been refrigerated since then.

A week ago we noticed a white granular fungus/mold layer like in picture.

Is it still good to eat? Can we just remove the layer with a knife and eat the rest. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Some of the cheese pictures:

cheese_091.JPG

cheese_095.JPG

cheese_090.JPG

I often remove moldy layers from my cheese and have not suffered any detrimental effects. In fact, I used to work in a deli where we would cut off mould and then repackage the cheese.

I would still consider it a risk though, but it is a risk I usually take.

Kenche and Kai,

Thanks for your suggestions. I think we will remove the top layer and eat the cheese :ban:

Can we keep the cheese in Freezer so that it doesn't grow mold again. Or is there any other way we should store the Havarti.

Thanks again for your responses.

I love cheese! I wouldn't store it in the freezer personally, but you can if you'd like. After a while it will lose some taste I think. It looks like you kept it in the original packaging. Cheese will keep better if you just take it completely out of the package and tightly wrap it with plastic wrap. Keep as much air as possible out of the package and your cheese will keep in the fridge for a good while.

Back