Bread with WLP 655 Belgian Sour mix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidgerbil

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I decided to do a "sourdough" with WLP 655 Belgian Sour. I did equal parts flour and water, and pitched the vial in. I let it sit over night, and it really took off nicely. The next afternoon I mixed in a couple cups of rye flour, and put it back to rest on the counter. By that evening it had gone crazy. Today it has the most incredible sour aroma, and I pulled out part of the starter to create a loaf. I will let it rest overnight in the fridge, and bake it tomorrow.

I can't wait to see how it comes out.

I started an 'old dough' starter a couple weeks ago. I started with a basic bread dough and baked off 2/3's of it and kept the other 1/3 covered and on the counter. I let it set for two days then threw it in with the new batch. Baked off 2/3's of it etc. It has great flavor now.

You started with a bitter...

I do have a spare WLP300 wash I've been wanting to throw onto some flour. I may have to give it a try this weekend.

So I decided to do a "sourdough" with WLP 655 Belgian Sour. I did equal parts flour and water, and pitched the vial in. I let it sit over night, and it really took off nicely. The next afternoon I mixed in a couple cups of rye flour, and put it back to rest on the counter. By that evening it had gone crazy. Today it has the most incredible sour aroma, and I pulled out part of the starter to create a loaf. I will let it rest overnight in the fridge, and bake it tomorrow.

I can't wait to see how it comes out.
How did it turn out?

Well, the part that i threw in the fridge yesterday just would not get going today. I have not put together the proofing box that I am planning on building, and it has been unusually cold for this time of year in Seattle. Instead, when I got home from work today I threw together the following:

bread flour - 600g
light rye flour - 150g
dark rye flour - 150g
cracked wheat - 200g
steel cut oats, cooked - 675g
salt - 26g
water, warm - 2 cups
liquid malt extract - 22g
sourdough starter/batter - 600g

i threw it all in the mixer and formed a very loose dough that i left to ferment on the counter. that was about 10 hours ago, and i just got home from an evening out with friends, and the dough looks awesome, and smells fantastic.

tomorrow will be the proof...

odd, i thought i already posted the results...

It came out really good. I fed the starter some fresh flour and water, and tossed it in the refridgerator. About a week later I made the next loaf, just a very simply "peasant bread" type recipe, and it was FANTASTIC. It had picked up even more flavor and complexity during that time. It has been about two weeks since that loaf, and I am hoping to do another in the next day or two. We shall see how the weekend goes.

great idea using a sour culture to get a sourdough going quickly... thanks for sharing.

Just remember, just like in beer, these critters are a little slower to work, so make up your dough, or batter or how ever you decide to do it, and toss it in the fridge and let it work for a while. Mine was a couple of weeks before I was really happy with how sour it was. The aroma is incredible.

I was wondering if I should put an air lock on my sour dough starter jar when I store it in the fridge. Wouldn't this keep it from drying out? Or does it starve by not letting it breathe.

Back