Today is my first brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Well I have everything I need except a couple bags of ice to cool the wort. I don't think my fridge will have enough so better safe than sorry.

I boiled about a gallon and a half of water today and put it in the fridge to cool. I plan on using this water to rinse my equipment after it is clean and sanitized. Sound ok? I will also use this water for my airlock, or should I use a blow off tube? I have a 6.5 gallon bucket to frement in. I am brewing a stout with a 1.065 original gravity. Using a liquid yeast strain.

WHat is the best way to measure gallons when for top off water. I don't have a milk jug handy.

I'd think you'll be better off with alcohol in the airlock. Shouldn't affect the flavor if it happens to be sucked in.

being your first brew (I'm still on my first) I'd suggest using a blow-off tube, at least for the first few days.

What are you using to sanitize? If you are using a no-rinse like one-step, iodophor or starsan, they're called "no-rinse" for a reason. These sanitizers, for one thing are "wet contact" sanitizers...once the surface is sanitized, as long as the object is wet with sanitizer, it is protected from any particulate matter landing on it...rinse that away and you've effectively killed half it's usefulness.

In my airlock I use sanitizer, but vodka is often used...some people use tap water and don't worry, it's a matter of preference.

To measure by the gallon, without using a gallon? Have any kitchen measuring cups? I have a pyrex quart measureing cup that I use, knowing that 4 of them equal a gallon...

you can use anything...pitcher, bucket...just sanitize it first if it's for top off water...If you have a container but don't know the size, and have a measuring cup of any size, (like a 1/2 cup) then you can keep filling the container until you can get an amount you know, and mark it with a sharpie... If you know one volume of water, then you know how many times you'll need to fill it to achieve 5 gallons.

Of course if you've marked your fermenter with gallon increments, then it doesn't really matter, you go by that.

Just remember to relax, and breath...this ain't brain surgery your doing, it's making beer, and it's really hard to ruin your beer.

:mug:

Well I am in the process of waiting for my hot break to add hops. I decided to stick with an airlock with water as I have a 6.5 gallon bucket. I will let you know how it goes. Also, I am going to rub a little sanitizer on my hands before I start handling my equipment. This should work.

get some star-san next time. best no-rinse sanitizer around. won't stain like iodiphor either.

Latest posts

Back