Fly sparging with one pump, single tier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Is it possible? I didn't think this all the way through, I was looking at starting to fly sparge, but i dont want to buy another pump.. looks like i may have to keep with batch sparging unless there is some way to do it with one pump..

thanks!:confused:

-edit-

correct me if i am wrong, but besides having to pick up a freakin heavy kettle full of wort after gravity draining it on the floor.. there is no way to do this..

looks like i am keeping with batch sparging..

The only way would be to use a grant that could hold all your runoff and then pump it up to your BK once your were done sparging. The hassle makes a $140 pump look cheap...

As far as HSA, I personally refuse to believe it exists, but I think Bobby was talking about pouring the sparge water with the measuring cup, which wouldn't have an effect.

Gordie

I was thinking why not use a 5, 4 or 3 way valve with any combination of these valves vs some brewing systems that I have seen that have up to 17 single ball valves. This for a single tier and pump system. Only thing is cost of these multi way valves vs single ball valves. JMO as why not?

gordie; nice area where you live, motorcycle country and warm in the evenings not like the bay area past 4:00 PM freeze your butt.

HSA does exist (and until someone with a Ph.D in chemistry debunks Fix's Principles of Brewing Science I'll believe it), but is rare and seemingly difficult to produce on the homebrew scale. You'd be fine with what Bobby's describing. Used to do it before going to batch sparging, never got dinged in comps with oxidation.

It's a lot easier to just batch sparge on the single tier, IMHO.

Given a pump of a particular type in hand, no. Given no pump and a shopping expedition, yes, if you find a dual tube (sometimes but not always dual-rotor - works best if offset dual rotor, but that's a finesse detail) peristaltic pump. Precisely matched input and output makes for a perfect fly sparge.

Of course, even a single-tube pump (being self-priming) could save the pick it up part of the problem - if you drained into some container on the ground/floor and then pumped from there into the boil kettle once the sparge was done.

Its worth the second pump, I did one batch with a single pump and realized the difficulty. I think its worth it to fly sparge from my experience, so I'd get a second pump and never look back.

One pump, eh? get lots of quick disconnects and keep switching between "drain MT mode" and "drain HLT mode" back and forth over an hour.... ok just batch sparge or buy a new pump.

Back