Kegging logistics issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hello,

I just brewed a 5g batch that will be my first that I will keg but I have a logistical problem that I would love to get some advice on. I've read some similar posts but nothing exactly the same. Basically my issue is that I brew at location 1 (on the weekends) and then consume at location 2 (30 minutes away). My kegerator, CO2, and regulator will stay at location 2.

The consensus on the best way to transport the keg seems to be to give it 10-12PSI of CO2 to clear any oxygen and seat the lid. I have 2 questions about this process:

1) Obviously it's a pain in the ass but is it unsafe/otherwise a bad idea to be transporting my CO2 tank and regulator between locations when I want to transport the keg? Or should I just get another tank and regulator for location 1 that I would use exclusively for purging of O2 before transporting (I considered the portable mini CO2 chargers but it seems like that gives me very little control over how much CO2 I'm putting in

2) Is it ok to do this purging at room temp? No kegerator or way to cool the keg at location 1 unfortunately...

Thanks!

is it unsafe/otherwise a bad idea to be transporting my CO2 tank and regulator between locations when I want to transport the keg?

I bring a small 5lb. tank with me all the time. Never had any issues.

2) Is it ok to do this purging at room temp?

Yes. I attach gas in and a picnic tap out and pressurize a few psi, then dump for a few seconds out of the tap. There are probably better ways, that has just worked for me.

Purging the headspace of your 5 gallon keg at the remote brewing location:
Just buy a compact CO2 cartridge injector system, Super small and less than 25 bucks.

*snipped* from an internet supply house = Use this Compact CO2 injector on your ball lock kegs in place of a bulky CO2 tank.This hand held CO2 unit pushes out your beer using small 16-gram CO2 cartridges. It takes 2 - 5 16g cartridges to dispense 5 gallons of beer. This system will not carbonate your beer, so make sure that your beer is already carbonated before use. This Ball Lock Injector comes with the CO2 injector unit, threaded gas ball lock fitting, and 1 CO2 cartridge. Note: Uses only Genuine Innovations 16 gram CO2 cartridges.

You would be using very little of the CO2 cartridge purging out air.

I would purge the air by holding open the presssure relief ring on the lid and squirting in blips of CO2 from the injector. Total purge time 10 - 20 seconds.

Purging the headspace of your 5 gallon keg at the remote brewing location:
Just buy a compact CO2 cartridge injector system, Super small and less than 25 bucks.

*snipped* from an internet supply house = Use this Compact CO2 injector on your ball lock kegs in place of a bulky CO2 tank.This hand held CO2 unit pushes out your beer using small 16-gram CO2 cartridges. It takes 2 - 5 16g cartridges to dispense 5 gallons of beer. This system will not carbonate your beer, so make sure that your beer is already carbonated before use. This Ball Lock Injector comes with the CO2 injector unit, threaded gas ball lock fitting, and 1 CO2 cartridge. Note: Uses only Genuine Innovations 16 gram CO2 cartridges.

You would be using very little of the CO2 cartridge purging out air.

I would purge the air by holding open the presssure relief ring on the lid and squirting in blips of CO2 from the injector. Total purge time 10 - 20 seconds.

So if I went the compact route I could just use that to purge, then transport it and carb it once I get it to the kegerator/CO2 tank? Totally new to this so it makes me nervous: would I just dispense it for a few seconds, purge, repeat a few times? Thanks for your help!

"So if I went the compact route I could just use that to purge, then transport it and carb it once I get it to the kegerator/CO2 tank?"

Reply: You got it!

"Totally new to this so it makes me nervous: would I just dispense it for a few seconds, purge, repeat a few times?"

Reply: (Co2 is heavier than air) I would dispense the CO2 for a couple of seconds whilst hold the pressure relief valve open, blip in more Co2 while still purging, then after 15 - 20 seconds of purging then release the purge valve ring. The air should have been displaced with just Co2 now. Then I'd blip in more Co2 from the cartridge just to make sure the lid o-ring has sealed.

"Thanks for your help!"

Reply: A good question, good luck with your beer!

I attach gas in and a picnic tap out and pressurize a few psi, then dump for a few seconds out of the tap. There are probably better ways, that has just worked for me.

Why are you dumping beer through the picnic tap? Don't even hook up the picnic tap, and just purge the air through the pressure relief valve on the lid. Dumping beer does nothing to purge the headspace, just wastes your beer.

Why are you dumping beer through the picnic tap? Don't even hook up the picnic tap, and just purge the air through the pressure relief valve on the lid. Dumping beer dous nothing to purge the headspace, just wastes your beer.

I don't dump any beer. For some reason I thought the OP was talking about purging an empty key, which I do with the tap on, and fill the tap line too. Wouldn't dream of dumping beer.

I don't dump any beer. For some reason I thought the OP was talking about purging an empty key, which I do with the tap on, and fill the tap line too. Wouldn't dream of dumping beer.

co2 is heavier than o2. So if you bleed an empty keg with a tap, you are pulling from the bottom which is just co2. You still have oxygen at the top. Thats why you need to bleed from the pressure relief on the top. If you have a pin lock without a bleeder, they you need to pull the gas in off and bleed out from the poppet

Reply: (Co2 is heavier than air) I would dispense the CO2 for a couple of seconds whilst hold the pressure relief valve open, blip in more Co2 while still purging, then after 15 - 20 seconds of purging then release the purge valve ring. The air should have been displaced with just Co2 now. Then I'd blip in more Co2 from the cartridge just to make sure the lid o-ring has sealed.

Awesome! I think I'm almost there..one concern still though. Would I do this purge procedure before filling the keg (as I would if I had a CO2 tank while filling it) or just fill it without purging and try to minimize splashing and then purge the remaining oxygen?

Obviously it'd be ideal to purge the entire keg before filling but would that be too much for the little charger?

co2 is heavier than o2. So if you bleed an empty keg with a tap, you are pulling from the bottom which is just co2. You still have oxygen at the top. Thats why you need to bleed from the pressure relief on the top. If you have a pin lock without a bleeder, they you need to pull the gas in off and bleed out from the poppet

Yep thanks. CO2 in then dump via tap, then remove tap and dump via pressure relief valve. I'm using CO2 in the lines for it's bacteriostatic properties, not just to do something silly.

Back