Problems reusing regulator with orifice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
I'd like to reuse a 10psi regulator for my brew stand. I though that it was 3/8 female flared, but I took it off today and it had the orifice attached directly to it.

Would there be an issue running it to a 1/4" x 1/2" bushing into my black pipe manifold? Or is the orifice too restrictive, and should I just get a new regulator?

Thats what i did with mine for my 2 bg14 burners. Pretty sure mine was smaller then 1/4 threads though, maybe 1/8. I just drilled out the orifice to increase the gas flow because both burners had there own.

Yeah mine is 1/8" actually. I'm going to pick up the fitting today and see if there is an issue of gas flow.

My intuition tells me that if the orifice is at high pressure, the gas flow should still be equal, even without drilling the orifice. What size did you drill it?

Not sure what size bit i used but I opened up the hole as large as i could without messing up the fitting.

I'm going to try it without drilling it first - once my orifices come...dying to test this manifold out...

Wouldn't the fact that it's high pressure mean that the flow is higher than it's low pressure counterpart? And the manifold should fill just fine, other than the end of the manifold getting cold from the drop in pressure.

I'll report back!

Latest posts

Back