Mineral taste, need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystikshroom

Reaction score
I have brewed 3 different NB extract kits so far, the first two with my tap water which honestly is a bit on the hard side and the last one with spring water from the local walmart. and it seems all 3 have the same mineral-ish spritzy after taste (tastes almost exactly like soda water, like when you get a fountain drink and it's out of syrup). i use an aluminum pot but i boiled it before i used it and i don't use abrasive cleaners. the kits were fresh from the NB website and they are all different kits. i am officially out of ideas. i don't mind the taste much but i'd say about half of the people who try my beers so far find it undrinkable, and the other half doesn't notice or doesn't care. i am very discouraged and honestly this is making me wonder if maybe i just am not meant to be a brewer :(

any help or idea's would be appreciated. (i tried to find other threads about this but i haven't seen a mineral one, only metallic and i wouldn't call it a metal taste.)

Could this "spritzy aftertaste" possibly be carbonic bite?
Are you sure you're not over-priming/carbonating??

Probably a good idea to post up in more detail the recipes, exactly what you are doing when preparing the wort, pitching temp, fermentation temps, length of primary, bottling or kegging procedures, Conditioning time and temps etc. etc.

That'll make it easier for people on here to help you out.:mug:

thanks for the advice, as far as preparing the wort i just do the recommended recipe 60 min boil adding extract at the beggining and hops at intervals, cooling with ice bath and using dry yeast that comes in the Nb kits. i am very new so i have just been pitching when the icebath makes the side of the pot cool to the touch per NB dvd instructions. fermentation temp ~65f outside the bucket.
primary for 3 weeks
bottle condition with priming sugar (1 oz per gal so 5oz) 3 weeks min Conditioning time at 70-74 degrees.
and i have no idea i use the recommended amount of sugar and have never seen anything on carb bite, so it's possible.

thanks again for the feedback

Its hard to diagnose off flavors via the internet, because what you are perceiving as mineral-ish might be something else entirely. Do you live in an area with a homebrew club, where you could share it with some people who might be able to give you some feedback? Or someone here might be willing to taste it and diagnose it for you?

The part about pitching yeast when the side of the pot is cool to the touch is a concern to me. You really need to get a decent thermometer and pitch when the entire wort is near 70F. I can have significant temp fluctuation from side of pot to middle of my wort in my 6.5 gal kettle when doing ice bath.

You could always try distilled water. There is a good thread that compares distilled beer w/ extract to spring water w/ extract. Supposedly when they make the extract, they use plenty of minerals so using water that has minerals can add too much.

Back