New hop variety???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoak

Reaction score
anybody ever heard of Caliente hops? a google search returns very little information, just a few beers that are dry hopped with Caliente but no mention of what the hop is like. i just got a pound of leaf Caliente in the mail yesterday and will be brewing a pale ale or ipa tomorrow. also, i want to put a plug in for Yakimavalleyhops.com who i have nothing to do with but they have great prices and USPS flat rate shipping. selection is not huge but they have many of the basics for really cheap per pound.

Sounds like these hops will be great in a Mexican style cerveza! :mug:

the name anyway, i've never tasted any hops in a mexican beer :D

i'm making a pale ale with:

8lb 2 row
1lb white wheat malt
1lb flaked barley
.5lb crystal 60
1oz perle 7.1% leaf @60
.5 oz Caliente 15.3% leaf @15
.5oz Caliente 15.3% @5
1oz Caliente 15.3% @ flameout (maybe 2oz, maybe in a hopback)

US-05 yeast

I too purchased some caliente hops from yakima valley. Don't really know what I'm going to use them for. I don't have the set up for doing a lager for a couple more months when the weather gets cooler but I was thinking of doing a Belgian triple with these and dry hopping it as well.

it's kind of odd that there is zero info on these hops, makes me wonder if Caliente = hot = stolen? somewhere somebody is wondering where their bales of hops went.

well, i brewed this beer today but had a change of heart about an all Caliente beer after detecting no aroma from the hops. i boiled some up in a pot and it was very bitter but had only the faintest aroma of dried pepper skin, very faint. maybe i got some old hops or this is strictly a bittering hop. not wanting 5 gallons of some weird beer i went with CTZ and Amarillo instead.

Back