2nd all grain batch/ herms question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
Did my second all grain batch today. everything was going well until I turned my back on the boil and had an over flow. only ended up with about 4 3/4 gallons into the fermenter. Pic was taken about 15 minutes before the boil over. I've already had it with the cooler mash tun because it leaks and I have an extra keg. The keg on the left has fittings for a herms coil I had welded in but I haven't put in the coil yet. I have 50' of 1/2 copper to use. is that the right length or is it too much? Next step is getting the herms coil in and building a structure.

DSC_0008_001.JPG

That settles it.

I need to wear a lab coat (and shoes!) when I brew.

My HERMS coil is 25' and it's long enough. That doesn't mean 50' is too long, though! It's just that I used an old immersion chiller which happened to be 25'. It takes up quite a bit of room in the HLT, so I'm not sure how well a 50' coil would fit. Others who have a longer HEX could tell you for sure.

Im not an expert at herms but i'd be surprised if 25 feet (7 coils) wouldn't do the job.
...it's not like you need to increase temp 20 degrees in a pass ...prolly more like 1, right?

Ended up using a shorter piece I had so the hex is 20 feet. Any suggestions on how to get the compression fittings to not leak?

Nice setup. That's what I plan on ending up with. My herms coil is not centered as I used right angle fittings but I am sure it will work fine. I used the extra 6 inches or so of copper to make a dip tube.

Nice setup. I used 90* fittings on my herms and the coil sits to the side like that. No issues with it.

Back