did i not use enough smoked malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
did i not use enough smoked malt? this smoked robust porter is fairly young still and i cant detect smoke flavor. its still good but no smoke which was what i was going for. heres the recipe(3.5lbs smoked malt)

1lbs Briess 2 Row Caramel 60 $1.35/lb $1.35

1lbs Gambrinus Dark Munich $1.55/lb $1.55

8lbs 8oz Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt $1.15/lb $9.78

1lbs Simpsons Chocolate $1.65/lb $1.65

0lbs 12oz Simpsons Black Malt $1.65/lb $1.24

3lbs 8oz Weyermann Smoked Malt $1.80/lb $6.30

1lbs Thomas Fawcett Crystal Malt 45

1 Kent Goldings, UK Pellets - 1 oz, 5.0% AA @ 60mins

.7 oz Williamette Pellets 4.2% AA @ 30mins

.8 oz Williamette Pellets 4.2% AA @ 15mins

.4 oz golding @ 0mins
.4 williamette @ 0mins

us05

That's what, 25%?

I like more like 50% in a porter, but you ought to be able to taste the 25%.

I do think the strength of the smoked malt is variable (likely with age).

I used about 50% in my first one and just tasted it today. It is not cold or carbed yet but unless it changes a lot I think I didn't get enough smoke in it :/ We'll see

To answer your question - you did not use enough smoked malt if you want a noticeably smoky beer. I have brewed smoked porter a couple of times - first time 40% Weyermann rauchmalt - very good at one month - smoke flavor had faded noticeably by 4 months. Used 50% home smoked malt the second time - very good at one month, and this one held its smoke flavor for 6 months.

i followed jamils recipe but added alittle more chocolate and black malt. increased the smoked grain by a half pound. i guess next time ill double the smoked malt, or add a few ounces of peated malt

I did the same recipe with 3 pounds and my scoresheets both came back "no smoke flavor detected, should have entered in the Robust Porter category". OKAY!! I actually just did enter it in that category so we'll see.

I'm going to make it again and use 5 lbs of weyerman smoked.

Have you bottled this yet? If not, get 4 ounces of PEAT-smoked malt and steep in a pint of water. Add a little at a time to taste.

If you want more smoke you can try liquid smoke. Apparently they make it by smoldering hickory or some other such wood and passing the smoke through water, after a day or two you have liquid smoke. I have not tried using it yet.

I think 50% should be a minimum percentage of Rauchmalz for a prominent smoke character, scaling up as you see fit.

For perspective, Aecht Schenklera Rauchbier, while not a porter, is entirely Rauchmalz if memory serves.

Rauchmalt is very mild. You need lots of it. I prefer smoking my own with alderwood. I would avoid liquid smoke and peated malt at all cost.

Back