2010 Southern California Championship Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I just found the results for the 23rd Annual Southern California Championship. I entered 7 beers. It looks like I got 2 awards and an honorable mention. :ban:

Category 10 American Ale
3rd place - Brown Ale - Brown Sabbath

Category 19 Strong Ale
3rd Place - American Barleywine - 2009 Old Helicon Barleywine

Category 23
Honorable Mention - 100% Wheat lager - Liquid Whole Wheat

Recipes are in the sig if you are so interested.

I won best in show, 2nd in IPA and English Brown, and an HM in the veg/herb/spice. :)

I entered 6 beers total. I did well. Congrats to you, too!

I entered....at least I think I did. I dropped off my bottles and check at O'Shea's in Laguna Niguel a couple of weeks before the contest. I know I didn't win, but they haven't cashed my check or sent me my score sheets. Just curious did they email or snail mail your score sheets to you. I really just want the feedback on my beers. Cheers! Al

I entered....at least I think I did. I dropped off my bottles and check at O'Shea's in Laguna Niguel a couple of weeks before the contest. I know I didn't win, but they haven't cashed my check or sent me my score sheets. Just curious did they email or snail mail your score sheets to you. I really just want the feedback on my beers. Cheers! Al

They haven't sent me anything or cashed my check either. Sometimes it takes time for small groups to get through everything. I'd imagine we'd see scoresheets in the mail this week.

I've found them to be pretty fast compared to other comps I've entered. Judging was last weekend, I'd give them a good 3-4 weeks before getting impatient.

I got my scores back as well. I'm happy with the results. My Brown Ale that got 3rd place scored a 43/44. Regardless of the 3rd place, I'm proud of those scores! :rockin:

I got my scores! I scored in the mid 30's for both my American Brown Ale and Amber Ale. Pretty happy since it was only my second competition. I have a question though....typically what kind of scores are the winners getting? Just something to shoot for....Al

Post your recipe if its cool with you...

I would, but that beer is really not something normal. Being an old ale, it is... old. It was a barleywine when I made it 3 years ago and it has just aged into something very nice. The recipe is really nothing great. The age has just been kind to it.

As for winning scores, my IPA that got a second scored a 41 and the old ale that won BOS scored a 39. Oh, and a 37 for the second place in English Brown.

Back