Pumpkin Ale vs. Christmas Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckferrorists

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to do both a pumpkin ale and a christmas ale for this coming winter. My question is, would they taste nearly the same? I've heard that you don't really taste the pumpkin in a lot of pumpkin ales, but rather just the pumpkin spice. Are they going to be too similar? I plan on using AHB's mini mash recipe kits, unless anyone can sway me differently.

Thanks,

Tuck

The pumpkin isnt a predominant flavor, but it does add alot to mouthfeel I think. Christmas ales have some other spices orange peel and tend to be a little darker

Thanks for the reply, I've got the Christmas Ale in my shopping cart, but now I'm looking at Yuri's pumpkin ale. I'm just a little confused by some of the discrepancies in the extract version.

You could try a Pumpkin Porter, I'm trying to throw one together to see if I can. My plan is a straight forward Robust Porter, then add the pumpkin to the mash and spices to secondary just like Yuri's.

Thanks, but I already have a robust porter going. I just ordered the ingredients to do Yuri's version. Thanks, though.

Back