Son of Fermentation Chiller Plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinsonizer

Reaction score
It seems Ken Schwartz site is no longer up, so I can't find them... anyone know where else to look?

Alright, maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't make sense of the section about indoor/outdoor thermostat setup. Can someone please list, very simply, where each part goes? Something like "The outdoor probe goes _____; the indoor probe (which I assume is attached to the thermostat itself) goes _____;". Also, why is it necessary to have both indoor and outdoor sensors? Wouldn't it suffice to just measure the "indoor" temperature inside the chiller and turn the fan on until it reaches the set temp?

the outdoor probe goes inside, against your fermenter. the indoor probe usually is part of the unit that tells the temperature, it stays outside the chiller.

those thermometers are used to tell indoor/outdoor temps from inside. for instance, you would put the thermometer next to your window and put the "outdoor" probe outside the window.

that help?

Halfway. Now where is the thermostat, and how do I get it to run the fan hoping to equalize the "outdoor" (inside the chiller) temperature with my chosen setting?

you are confusing the thermostat with the indoor/outdoor thermometer.

the thermostat is used inside the unit to control your fan.

the thermometer is used simply to monitor the temperature of your fermentation.

Oooooooh. Got it. Yea, I was thinking the two were linked somehow. Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to build one today!

Back