Tricks to increase body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Master

Reaction score
Hy guys, I've just finished my first mead(MAOM) and it's pretty good but lacks some flavor and feels a bit watery. I heard of some tricks like rasins or banana soup to increase the body and mouthfeel.
Can anybody give me a more detailed instruction for the banana thing or any other method to increase body?
And how about glycerin, has anyone used it?

It's about 3 months old and the recipe is Malkore's not so Ancient Orange Mead, I just want to know how to increase the body so it doesn't feel watery. I've seen something like boiling bananas to get more body but I can't remember the details.

Time...

I don't have that recipe on hand, so I don't know what you put into it... I do know that with age, mead gets much better. IMO, at 3 months, a mead is still an infant.

If it's sweet enough, just let it sit in bulk form for some more months and try it again. If it's dry, add a little more honey, until it's closer to where you want. Just be careful there since if you add too much while it's this young it could become too sweet later...

All my batches of mead won't be judged (by me) for months. I started them around Thanksgiving of 2010, so just over 4 months ago now... I have four still in process. Two traditionals, one blackberry melomel and a mocha madness batch (mocha chip ice cream flavor profile, turned up to '11')...

Yes, I have used glycerin, but don't use too much as it has a sweetness of it's own and over doing it can induce some of the slightly metallic sweet flavour.

It worked fine for me, but I only used about 2 or 3 teaspoons in a gallon.

regards

fatbloke

Adding oak or brewing with black/green tea is a way to add some tannin and body to a mead. Here's a thread I started a little while back; post #20 deals specifically with your banana question.

I'm still confused about the bananas should they be yellow or really ripe and black, and should I add the boiled water or water+bananas?
Oh and with or without skin? I just want to increase the body so I don't want a banana taste.

You can add bananas to your must. PEEL one VERY RIPE banana per gallon of wine, chop up and place in a small amount of water. Boil for 15 – 20 minutes. Let it cool, STRAIN the liquid and pour into your fermenter.

I will say that MOAM can be a little thin. So is Joe's. A lot depends on the honey you used and residual sugars left, and the yeast used.

One 'trick' to add body is to carbonate it.

I just made the same recipe, except I reduced the amount of honey to allow the mead to be ready faster and to be able to drink more of the final product. I'm interested to see how this turns out. Let me know if you try the banana thing.

Wines lacking in body are usually treated with additions of glycerin and/or tannins to increase body. The best way to do it is to take a sample, split it across several glasses, and play with the adjustments until you find what works, then scale it up to the whole batch. For tannin you can boil a tea bag for 5 minutes in a cup of water, and then add a few drops of the solution to your glass.

Latest posts

Back