New to Corny Kegs - Some Questions Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txstars15

Reaction score
Hi All-

I just bought 2 5gal corny kegs that are ball lock in design. I'm a little confused by all the fittings and other gear available. What exactly do I need to buy to make these kegs ready to dispense beer? I'm thinking of getting one of those taps that connects directly to the keg, thus eliminating the picnic tap and hose.

Also, I'd rather not have to duplicate equipment, so can I buy these items once (regulator, CO2 tank, etc) then just move them to whatever keg I want to dispense from? Thanks for the guidance for this new kegger!

You just need one regulator and co2 tank then you use a spliter for the gas line if you have two kegs then you need a three way splitter. as for the dispensing thats all preference.

I'm thinking of getting one of those taps that connects directly to the keg, thus eliminating the picnic tap and hose.

You can do that, but you will probably need an epoxy mixer or two in the diptube if you want to serve at anywhere close to equilibrium pressure, and you want to serve at equilibrium pressure in almost every instance.

Just get a cobra tap and about 8 feet of 3/16" line.

Second on the Cobra tap. Might not need that much line but you can always trim it. Very easy to use and easier to keep from foaming. I keep my keg in the fridge and the cobra tap hangs nicely on the shelf. I am running about 10psi so 4 feet has worked well for me.

Chris

Back