competition; are my brews "specialty beer"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all!

I made a Russian Imperial Stout with 12oz of molasses, and a Stout with cocoa powder and smoked chipotle peppers. So other than the odd additions their styles are easy to tell.

Would I put these under the Russ. Imp. Stout and American Stout, or do they both need to go with Specialty Beers? I figure the chocolate pepper one is, but as for the one with molasses, I am uncertain.

From BJCP, it states for category 23 Specialty Beers:

"Unusual fermentables (e.g., maple syrup, honey, molasses, sorghum)"

If I only had 12oz in a 18lb grain bill, does that count as a large enough amount of fermentables? or does it only count if molasses is the main fermentable?

Thanks for any thoughts, entering my first competition so wanting to make sure I do this right!

Molasses, cocoa powder, and peppers aren't really desirable flavors in any of the beer styles when referring to BJCP judging standards.

These additions can make for great beers, but they aren't true to style, which is the entire point of the BJCP sanctioned contests. They're trying to see how authentic to the style you can make a beer, not how creative you can be.

I'm sure you'll have two great beers, but they'll be specialty beers, because in their stock categories you're gonna get docked major points for "off" flavors of molasses, cocoa, and peppers :p

Hehe, figured that for at least the chili chocolate!

As for the molasses I figured it would toss it in there. You helped clarify it, even if it is a great brew if it is not the classic style flavors then it is trouble.

Thanks for the reply!

The chili pepper beer should go in Spice, Herb or Vegetable Beer, Cat. 21A

Does the RIS taste a lot like molasses? If not, just enter it as a straight up RIS. If the molasses flavor is heavy, then you may consider entering as a Cat. 23 Specialty.

Ah, that does make sense. First time having to define styles, and of the brews I am entering these were the ones I was getting a bit lost on. Thanks for the clarification!

Back