Bottle carbing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let it go to completion (so that gravity stabilizes for a week or more) then prime it by adding sugar just before bottling. I think there are threads out there that say how much of what types of sugar to use as I don't recall that off the top of my head.

Can't you let it ferment down to a certain gravity, example, 1.010, 1.020, then bottle. And then as it finishes fermenting, it carbonates. that was my objective anyway.

I suppose you could, though I haven't ever tried. I would suspect you would have a higher likelihood of bottle bombs since F.G. of ciders can be quite variable. I have had ciders finish anywhere from .990 to 1.010.

I wouldn't try it. Beer is much more likely to finish at a projected FG, and I don't think I'd even try it with beer. Cider would be more likely to finish at any FG from .990 to 1.018, causing overpriming or undercarbonation.

If you're very experienced with doing it with beer, then I could see the temptation to do it with cider I guess. I would never do it with beer, so I would be even less likely to do it with cider.

Back