steeping specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfaridoni

Reaction score
I was wondering if it makes any difference if you put you grain in and then bring the temp up to about 155 or bring it up to 155 and then put them in the boil pot. I've been doing it the first way and want to see if I'm doing it wrong.

I don't know if it makes much of a difference at all. I do it both ways, depending on what time I get the whole brewday started. It also depends on how much prep work I have done before getting the pot on the stove too. It is an interesting question, and I'd like to hear a definitive answer, but I doubt it will convince me to only ever do it one way, over the other....

Also, as I recall, the instructions from 2 separate kits I have bought each said one way. A Brewers Best kit said to bring water to temp then steep, while a Northern Brewer kit said to steep while bringing water to temperature. Granted, I could be wrong in remembering, but it sure rings a bell.

Looking back at my instruction sheets, you can do it both ways. putting the grain bag in cold water, heat and remove bag a 170 degrees. Or heat water to 155 degrees, remove from heat add grain bag and steep for 25 minutes. I've done both, both were fine.

Ok, thanks. I usually don't get the grain in until about 110 since I too get the burner going and then do some other stuff before I get to it. i think you're right on either way being ok and I'll go with that unless someone else comes up with a reason not too

I have done all my extract kits the 1st way as in put the grains in and then heat water, regardless of the instructions,reason is a friend was over for my first batch who has been brewing many years, aka his method...as a side note, I will be doing my first biab soon , and I think ill do the same, mash in then start the heat, untill it hit my temp....bottom line I dont think I matters , just preferance.....Tom

Back