Corny Source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3asturd

Reaction score
Has anyone in CA found a source (or willing to share a source) for used ball locks. I've been posting ads on craigslist for over a year and only had one guy sell me 2 kegs in the last year. My brew day is on hold because I can't find corny kegs for less than $50 a piece. I know they are getting harder and harder to find, and really feel like I missed the boat on these. I only have 2 kegs and they're both occupied by aging/carbonating beers.

Originally I wasn't really willing to drive far to get them, but at this point, I'd drive across state to pick up 10 kegs. That still sounds a bit ridiculous, but you get my point. :)

Shoot me a PM if you have a secret source! haha

P.S. I found a guy in florida with hundreds that he'll sell for $38 a piece. $175 shipping for 20 kegs. Not bad I guess, but that is a small fortune.

Its tough. Your best bet is that guy in Florida - used cornys are getting so rare they are having to import them from S. American and elsewhere. I lucked out and my local brew club did a group buy from him and we got a deal. The bad news is I only got 4 -- I need 15 but I thought they would be easy to find locally, and they aren't :-/

If they've absolutely gotta be ball lock, cornykeg.com sells pin locks that have been converted to ball for $40 a piece or so.

Edit: Actually, I just checked their website and they have original pepsi ball locks for not much more than that too.

If they've absolutely gotta be ball lock, cornykeg.com sells pin locks that have been converted to ball for $40 a piece or so.

Edit: Actually, I just checked their website and they have original pepsi ball locks for not much more than that too.

Comes out to a little under $50 each shipped. Not too bad.

So gone are the days of getting these for $20 or $30 bucks....bummer. That turns out to be quite a bit of money added to my budget. Considering I brew 10 gallons I need 2 for every batch, or I need to find something else to serve in.

So gone are the days of getting these for $20 or $30 bucks....bummer. That turns out to be quite a bit of money added to my budget. Considering I brew 10 gallons I need 2 for every batch, or I need to find something else to serve in.

You'll only get that price via Craiglist (or such) and a group buy. Ball locks were ~$35 and Pins were ~$24 with the GB my local club did for 2 pallets from Florida.

Where are they available in Florida? I am in Florida and in the market for some.

Search ebay for "ball lock syrup tanks". When you see mceverdistributors you've found the guy. His cheapest price (for up to 20) seems to be $28 a piece. That'd be a great deal for you if you could pick them up!

For me, it's not a great deal. Great per unit price but shipping kills it, especially when you have to ship them on a pallet to california.

I ran in to a friend today who has worked for Pepsi for a loonnggg time. He actually gave me 2 ball lock kegs, which was very generous. He was telling me the stories of when pepsi was literally trying to GIVE all their 5 gallon and 10 gallon kegs away, but nobody wanted them so they sent most to China and scrapped all the 10 gallon ones. This brought a tear to my eye.

I ran in to a friend today who has worked for Pepsi for a loonnggg time. He actually gave me 2 ball lock kegs, which was very generous. He was telling me the stories of when pepsi was literally trying to GIVE all their 5 gallon and 10 gallon kegs away, but nobody wanted them so they sent most to China and scrapped all the 10 gallon ones. This brought a tear to my eye.

Wow, that is quite sad! I actually saw about 10 pin locks in a gas station northeast of Gatlinburg, TN this summer! Looks like there are still some people still using them for their original means!

I ordered 4 from McEver Distributors yesterday and I'll have them today. I live just across the state from this guy so the shipping was cheap and fast. Google McEver Distributors and go through them directly, and you will save even more on shipping. I spoke with them prior to ordering and he told me the ebay shipping is way off and its just easier going through him directly and using paypal to transfer the funds. There is also a tread under the classifieds section on HBT that has a lot of feedback from this source.

This guy has been posting frequently in the sf bay area craigslist @ $45 each.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/2858776397.html

You could likely negotiate a better price if buying in bulk, and if there's enough interest I'd be willing to go in on a group/bulk buy

Ya you know I emailed that guy but he never responded. I left him a voice mail today, we'll see if he responds.

Good luck I doubt the guy will, I even drove up to Santa Rosa and no dice, talked to the guy but could not confirm a pickup time and place. so drank a bunch of Plinys then went home.

That was about my experience as well.. I tried to get ahold of him to negotiate a purchase for 4-5 of them and never heard back. I ended up having to buy a used one at the LHBS to fill an immediate need and am still looking for a cheaper source of used.

If you hear back from him I'd be willing to buy 4-5 of them and it sounds like there is additional interest.

I ordered 4 from McEver Distributors yesterday and I'll have them today. I live just across the state from this guy so the shipping was cheap and fast. Google McEver Distributors and go through them directly, and you will save even more on shipping. I spoke with them prior to ordering and he told me the ebay shipping is way off and its just easier going through him directly and using paypal to transfer the funds. There is also a tread under the classifieds section on HBT that has a lot of feedback from this source.

I contacted via their website and didn't get any response. It was about 10 days ago. Some of the guys here in Lincoln might be interested in a pallet.

That was about my experience as well.. I tried to get ahold of him to negotiate a purchase for 4-5 of them and never heard back. I ended up having to buy a used one at the LHBS to fill an immediate need and am still looking for a cheaper source of used.

If you hear back from him I'd be willing to buy 4-5 of them and it sounds like there is additional interest.

Tried to call again today, still just forwards to voicemail. Honestly I think he's looking for someone to buy his whole stock at once. I'm pretty sure I got a response in the past (weeks ago) and he said $45 each was as low as he'll go.

Good luck I doubt the guy will, I even drove up to Santa Rosa and no dice, talked to the guy but could not confirm a pickup time and place. so drank a bunch of Plinys then went home.

Did you talk to him in person? Seems kinda shady that he wouldn't confirm a time or place. How many did you tell him you were interested in?

Tried to call again today, still just forwards to voicemail. Honestly I think he's looking for someone to buy his whole stock at once. I'm pretty sure I got a response in the past (weeks ago) and he said $45 each was as low as he'll go.

He keeps posting the same add every few days.. The first warning flag for me was he only provided a phone number, no typical way to respond to the add via email. If he's not returning phone calls it's likely he's looking for a bulk buyer to take most or his entire stock.

$45 isn't a great price for as is ball locks as you'll be up to $50 each by the time you threw on new O rings.

Should the stars & moon align and he's willing to sell in bulk I'd still be interested in 4-5, maybe up to 10 depending on the price.

Did you talk to him in person? Seems kinda shady that he wouldn't confirm a time or place. How many did you tell him you were interested in?

I had a friend who was visiting down that way pick up four for me in person last week & save me the shipping. He was able to hand pick them from the "like new" stack and I paid $150 for 4. Said the older fellow was extremely nice, the guy pressure tested them all to 80 PSI then shrink wrapped them. There's a young guy by the name of Dillon 407-474-7650 that handles the internet side of things, Ebay ad & replies, not exactly customer attentive but he did reply to my questions, I did talk to him on the phone, he offered $2 off each if I didn't want them cleaned. Their warehouse is in the New Smyrna airport industrial park.

I stumbled upon this at a scrap yard a few years ago, they were selling them for $10 each. I bought 10 and now I wish I would have bought the whole lot because I told my LHBS and they bought all of them and are selling them for $40 each. If he didn't buy them they would have been chopped up for scrap....

IMG_0665.jpg

I stumbled upon this at a scrap yard a few years ago, they were selling them for $10 each. I bought 10 and now I wish I would have bought the whole lot because I told my LHBS and they bought all of them and are selling them for $40 each. If he didn't buy them they would have been chopped up for scrap....

IMG_0665.jpg

Wow that is some good keg pron!

39 dollars is what my LHBS in modesto sells them for.

Holy Hand Grenades, I had no idea Barley and Wine sold them for that little. I need to pick me up some fo sho. Are these the Ball Lock or Pin Lock? I saw them when I was there the other day sitting in front of the store, but I didn't look closely at the cost.

Holy Hand Grenades, I had no idea Barley and Wine sold them for that little. I need to pick me up some fo sho. Are these the Ball Lock or Pin Lock? I saw them when I was there the other day sitting in front of the store, but I didn't look closely at the cost.

i believe that is the price. my wife took a picture of the sign that said the cost...
http://www.shopbarleyandwine.com/Cornelius-Keg-Used-7679.htm

and there is a link to their site. pretty good deal, i mean you have to clean them, but I would clean them out anyways.

also more beer has them for the same price if concord isnt too far for you to go.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18200/103708/Cornelius_Keg_-_Without_Gaskets_Replaced_Ball_Lock

I called and left voicemail for the guy then headed up, called him again about an hour or so later and confirmed with him that I wanted 8 and he asked me where I wanted to meet after a certain time (after the soda factory closed?). Called him back and got voicemail, so said f it and just drank some more.

I would maybe run up to More Beer in Los Altos (after calling them) and just buy some, they are rebuilt and the price is not too far off from what that guy on craigslist is selling them for now, and the bonus is you will be able to pick the best looking from the lot. I bought a pair a couple of months back.

i believe that is the price. my wife took a picture of the sign that said the cost...
http://www.shopbarleyandwine.com/Cornelius-Keg-Used-7679.htm

and there is a link to their site. pretty good deal, i mean you have to clean them, but I would clean them out anyways.

also more beer has them for the same price if concord isnt too far for you to go.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18200/103708/Cornelius_Keg_-_Without_Gaskets_Replaced_Ball_Lock

Man, if I wasn't on a motorcycle today, I'd go right over there. I work downtown and am not far from there as I type. :)

I'm a fan of KegConnection.com. Their ball lock kegs are $49.95 each with $7.95 flat rate shipping. http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=1

Personally, I would suggest picking up a set of pin lock disconnects with swivel nuts (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=46) and buying some pin lock kegs. They're only $34.95 each (http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=392) and you can swith between ball lock and pin lock when necessary. Plus, Keg Connection cleans, pressure tests, and sends a new set of o-rings with every keg. Who knows, they may even have an Easter sale. I picked up 3 kegs and a bunch of other stuff with a free shipping special they had for Valentine's Day.

I'm a fan of KegConnection.com. Their ball lock kegs are $49.95 each with $7.95 flat rate shipping. http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=1

The per keg price lines up with the best pricing I've found for used corny's online, and certainly the flat rate $8 shipping makes it nice. However I'd have to buy 10 or more at a time before it's really worth it for me.

My LHBS sells used ball locks that have been cleaned and pressure tested for $64 including tax. A single corny from keg connection is only about $7 cheaper and for $7 difference I'd rather support my LHBS.

I'd have to buy almost 50 of them to get the total unit price under $50 each and frankly if I'm buying that many I want them much much cheaper.

That's all good if you're willing to spend the extra $7 to support your LHBS and to receive instant satisfaction. The real incentive would be if you're ordering multiple. Even if you were to order 3 from Keg Connection it would be $157.80 total vs $192 from your LHBS. Now you're saving $32.20.

But I digress... My real point was that setting up a system that can accept both Pin lock AND Ball lock will save you a lot in the long run, considering that Pin lock's are $15 less.

In any case, to each their own. There could be possible size restrictions or something else that doesn't allow you to use them.

Or maybe just a very personal deep down hatred for Pin lock kegs.:D

Thumbs71 said:
But I digress... My real point was that setting up a system that can accept both Pin lock AND Ball lock will save you a lot in the long run, considering that Pin lock's are $15 less.

In any case, to each their own. There could be possible size restrictions or something else that doesn't allow you to use them.

Or maybe just a very personal deep down hatred for Pin lock kegs.:D

Aren't pin locks notably wider then ball locks? That was my reason for not looking at them prior, I'm space challenged in my current kegerator and can fit four ball locks but think I could only fit three pin locks

Aren't pin locks notably wider then ball locks? That was my reason for not looking at them prior, I'm space challenged in my current kegerator and can fit four ball locks but think I could only fit three pin locks

I believe that Pin's are about 1/2"-1" wider and about 3" shorter.

I ordered 2 ball-locks kegs from kegconnection and they arrived today. They are both in great condition and are relatively clean (one still has the soda smell....oxycleaning as I write this). I think I'm a little too excited....dare I say giddy?

Back