• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

100 qt Aluminum Boil Pt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a stellar deal. Do you have any way to measure the gauge of the pots? I'm really curious about that. Otherwise this is about $50 cheaper than the cheapest 100qt Alum pot I've seen on a normal retail site - and those don't include lids.

Subscribed - keep us posted on how these perform?

I have one of those as my kettle. No complaints after 5 10-gallon batches so far. Really thick and sturdy, yet light enough to lift with 11 gallons in it (yeah, I need to get a pump)

Anyone have the dimensions of the pot? Is it TOO big for some brewing? I was looking for something for smaller boils now but will be upgrading to larger ones at some point. It'd be nice to get this to use for everything.

It's likely too big to use as MLT for 5gal batches, since the grain bed would only be a few inches thick. Another concern for boils is the high surface area to volume ratio, which means extra fast evaporation rates. Just a concern though, since you could accommodate with extra wort.

I messaged the seller asking for pics of the strainer and lid if it's included. Just want to make sure the OP didn't just get lucky ;)

Mike - did you hear back from the seller? They also have an 80 qt one for $65. This would be better for 5-10 gallon batches but seeing the 100 qt one for only $5 makes it tough to pass up.

Just heard back from the seller this morning. Lids ARE included. I'm still waiting for photos though. I guess briandnj could post pics of the lid...

And brian could you please take diameter & height measurements? And if you have any way to do so, the thickness? I'm THIS close to nabbing three of these pots and having a large part of my setup taken care of way under budget...

Just got pictures of the lid (domed!) and strainer that come with. I pulled the trigger on 3 of these, thanks so much for the heads up brian!

I don't have anywhere to host the photos and I can't post them here but let me know if you want to see them and I can email them to you.

Also, once I get these pots and start drilling through them for my weldless fittings, I'll post here about the thickness of the pots.

Guys, This is actually funny timing. I was in a dollar store in town and they were selling the 52quart version of this pot for $25. And tax was included. I think it's time to start a business.

Guys, This is actually funny timing. I was in a dollar store in town and they were selling the 52quart version of this pot for $25. And tax was included. I think it's time to start a business.

That's a New York City dollar store for sure.

I've been watching these for a while for my build. Just ordered two to start my electric build. Just need to figure out if I can solder ss fittings to the aluminum or just go weldless. Hope they are as good as we are all hoping.

Mark

I'm planning on going weldless. I have experience welding steel but not stainless or aluminum, nor do I have the equipment. Overall, I don't really see the advantage of welded fittings other than the zero/lesser chance of leaks. Do a proper job of installation and voila you're done. If somehow I mess up my weldless fittings, I'll manage to fix it :)

I know this is covered elsewhere but in your opinions do aluminum pots give off flavors relative to stainless? Brewers go crazy with this, but I'm not convinced of the benefits. It's like those that soak their equipment for 20 min compared to those that just rinse.

I have no experience brewing in aluminum, my current kettle is stainless. In my OPINION, I doubt there will be off flavors compared to stainless if the gear is maintained properly.

As to how to maintain it properly, look at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/ for some facts and a whoooole lot of opinions not backed by any science. For the immense savings (I doubt I would have found a 100qt stainless w/ lid cheaper than $300 each, but got these for $70 each) I think the potential / unproven problems are worth the tradeoff.

I know this is covered elsewhere but in your opinions do aluminum pots give off flavors relative to stainless? Brewers go crazy with this, but I'm not convinced of the benefits. It's like those that soak their equipment for 20 min compared to those that just rinse.

FWIW I brew in a pretty heavy duty 24qt aluminum pot I purchased at Sam's Club and I've noticed no off flavors. I think my recent beers are pretty freakin' fantastic if I do say so myself. I did a one hour boil in it with plain water before I brewed any beer and have been careful about not scouring it too hard to remove the oxidation layer. I've done some pretty light beers in there, a saison and a couple blondes, still without any indication of off flavors.

This is discussed in very great length in several threads, no since getting into it again. If you aren't comfortable with aluminum stick with stainless.

I have no experience brewing in aluminum, my current kettle is stainless. In my OPINION, I doubt there will be off flavors compared to stainless if the gear is maintained properly.

As to how to maintain it properly, look at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/ for some facts and a whoooole lot of opinions not backed by any science. For the immense savings (I doubt I would have found a 100qt stainless w/ lid cheaper than $300 each, but got these for $70 each) I think the potential / unproven problems are worth the tradeoff.

I've been debating going stainless when I upgrade kettles. I've been looking at this one on Amazon in a 60qt model, they've got the 100 qt for just under $200.00: http://www.amazon.com/Quart-STAINLESS-STEEL-STOCK-COMMERCIAL/dp/B002MQFXC0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1298120244&sr=8-9. That doesn't beat the $70 aluminum option but it looks like a great value for a stainless steel rig.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the new Polar Ware Brew Rite 40 qt pot from Rebel Brewer for $115 plus taxes. The taxes would be almost as much for shipping. They have been so slammed that they haven't been able to get them on the site, so if you want one I would call them as they have them cheaper than anyone else that I have seen selling them. I would really recommend this pot to anyone who needs a quality pot for a really good price.

http://www.polarware.com/home-brewing/brew-rite-brew-pots.php

I got my pots today, really quick! They are massive, as anticipated. There were a couple minor dings as could be expected especially if this thing made its way from China and then around the USA trading hands who knows how many times. Overall dimensions: outside lip diameter 20.75", inside diameter 19.75", height 19.25" overall.

The lids are nice, the lip is rolled and the finish is rather rough. Definitely spun formed. Wall thickness leaves a little to be desired (I'd guess around 1/8" - 3mm) but I'll gauge it for sure once I start drilling. This could be a while, because I grabbed this deal quite ahead of budget/schedule.

Also, they came with baskets that I have no real idea what to do with - ideas? I'm thinking cut a ring of it out as a standoff support for my false bottom. The holes in it are about 1/2" and spaced 2" on center.

Again, I have no real way to host photos so I'll see what I can do, but PM me and I can send you photos by email tomorrow.

What to do with the baskets:
Line or cover the basket with ss mesh and use it as a sort of brew in a bag minus the bag. Lift the basket out and the hops and whatever else lifts out with it. Also could have a piece of aluminum sheet or ss sheet bent to line the inside of the walls of the basket and get some perforated type material for the bottom and use it to mash in. You could basically have a single vessel setup with this.

I have two of the 100qt ones on there way and can't wait to play with them.

Mark

Has anyone bought these pots and turned them into kettles / mash tuns / HLTs? I'd love to know if they hold up to weldless fittings and the overall quality.

I can buy 100 qt. aluminum at Sams for $100 (or 80 qt. for $75), but if this is a good deal and people are happy, I'm in for 2...

I am right on the edge of pulling the trigger on these, but someone made a good point about using as a mash tun on 5 gallon batches...
It's tough to go down to the 80 qt with it only being $5 less. I'd like to hear reviews as soon as possible on how these worked out...thanks guys.

Do the lids sit flush on the pot?

How much shipping for those pots? You got them pretty quickly!

Do the lids sit flush on the pot?

How much shipping for those pots? You got them pretty quickly!

Yes the lids sit fine on the pots (or at least they do on the two of mine.) I got the pots for 69.95 including shipping. The thickness of the metal is thicker than the 32 qt aluminum pot I use for my 5 gallon brews. It is not as thick as my stainless steel 60 qt polar pots but I am happy with this purchase.

I received mine about 5 days after ordering it (4 post office days).

+1 on the lids. They are domed with a flat spot on top (which will be nice when I'm drilling holes for sparge or recirculation hose/fittings) and a flat handle. The pots themselves have 2 cast aluminum handles, riveted on at 3 spots each. They seem plenty solid, but I promise I won't be carrying these around if they have 20 gallons of water or wort in them.

I received mine ridiculously fast. I think I ordered Thursday, shipped Friday and received yesterday (Monday). Maybe one more day in there... I lose track of time.

+1 on the lids. They are domed with a flat spot on top (which will be nice when I'm drilling holes for sparge or recirculation hose/fittings) and a flat handle. The pots themselves have 2 cast aluminum handles, riveted on at 3 spots each. They seem plenty solid, but I promise I won't be carrying these around if they have 20 gallons of water or wort in them.

I received mine ridiculously fast. I think I ordered Thursday, shipped Friday and received yesterday (Monday). Maybe one more day in there... I lose track of time.

Any damage to the pots? Did you get the 80 or 100 qt? How is the thinkness? Sorry about all of the questions, just weighing out getting them on ebay or sams.

dwpumo you need to read up on the rest of this thread, all of your questions have already been answered (as best as I can).

I've been meaning to buy a second vessel to heat water for lautering but as much as my dude instincts are screaming for 100 qts its really much to large for my needs. I think I'm going to look around for something closer to 60 qts. My kettle might get jealous.:)

Btw, don't forget to set the pots by baking or boiling for 30 min before use

I'm interested in hearing how these work out. Any worry about leakage with weldless fittings and different coefficients of thermal expansion between aluminum and stainless fittings? I was thinking about that the other night over a homebrew.

Ben

I'm not concerned about thermal expansion, since if the vessels are being heated with water/wort inside, the temperature of the metal will hardly go above that of the water. And even with a temperature change (from ambient) of about 300 degrees F, the thermal expansion in any direction will definitely be less than 0.001", which the silicone gasket on the bulkhead fittings will accommodate.

A much more likely cause for leakage would be loose fittings and/or poorly cut holes. Also the surface finish of the surfaces being sealed. That said, I may polish the area around the holes I cut before installing fittings since like I said above, the finish is kinda rough on these.

And yep jacko I'll be sure to boil / bake the pots before using them. I need to fill them tonight to leak test too.

I'm not concerned about thermal expansion, since if the vessels are being heated with water/wort inside, the temperature of the metal will hardly go above that of the water. And even with a temperature change (from ambient) of about 300 degrees F, the thermal expansion in any direction will definitely be less than 0.001", which the silicone gasket on the bulkhead fittings will accommodate.

A much more likely cause for leakage would be loose fittings and/or poorly cut holes. Also the surface finish of the surfaces being sealed. That said, I may polish the area around the holes I cut before installing fittings since like I said above, the finish is kinda rough on these.

And yep jacko I'll be sure to boil / bake the pots before using them. I need to fill them tonight to leak test too.

Very good. Some pictures of these in action would be great!

Ben

I'll definitely post pics in action, but that could be a pretty long ways down the road. I've got a build spec'd out from scratch right now, and these were somewhat far down the list but I had to jump on the deal because I was going to buy something very similar for double the price. This is essentially the first part of the build I've bought, once the refund check hits my account (Friday I hope), it's on.

This is off topic, but do you have a build thread for your rig? I'm continuously thinking of brewing bigger batches, and would be interested in seeing what you have planned.

Ben

Not yet. I'm going to wait until I've actually really got the ball rolling which will likely be in the next couple of weeks. Guess I'll have to make a picasa or flickr account to host pictures. The gist is a single tier weldless stand like "Wallace" but shorter and stouter, direct fire LP gas, capable of 15 gallon (16.5) batches. No automation to begin with, but it's definitely a dream down the road.

I have two of these 100qt pots enroute. I keep seeing people on the fence of going 100 over 80 due to the size difference. Keep in mind that the 100qt is only a 1/2 inch larger in diameter. It is however 3 inches taller. So really no difference in diameter but taller for the ability to do larger batches if you ever choose too. Also 3 inches better protection against boil overs. Obviously these are just my opinions. Any way you look at it $65-70 shipped is a hell-o-deal for this sized pot.

Mark

I have a 48qt and a 24qt aluminium pots that I bought at a local Indian grocery store...dings and all..they are thin...but never have to worry about boil overs!!! I have been brewing everything in them...I use the 24 to heat up the mash water...I fire these on a camp chef with dual 15,000BTU burners and I have absolutely no off flavors...or nervous tics....

I will say this though...keep oxyclean away from them...it will turn the aluminium black...although it wont harm them...

Back