Bottles for Berliner Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUEnder

Reaction score
I know the prevailing wisdom is to bottle berliner weiss in belgian bottles with a cork and cage. Regular bottles are thought to be too conducive to becoming bottle bombs. I'd like to hear from folks with actual experience.

Is 5 oz. of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch enough to get the desired carbonation for berliner weiss?

Has anyone successfully bottled berliner weiss in regular bottles? On the other hand, has anyone had a bottle bomb doing this?

I really don't want to drop the $80+ for 5 gallons worth of Belgian bottles, corks, and cages if I don't have to. Kegging is not an option at the moment. I also don't want bottle bombs. Never had one and would like to keep it that way.

I capped in normal bottles at a tad under 3.5 volumes without structural issues. I had a couple gushers when the bottles were green, but none a couple weeks out after bottling.

Not that I'm saying this is safe; just that I didn't have any bottle bombs.

Also, I should note that I did a sour mash to sour it and US-05 to carb. Your mileage may vary with different yeast.

Back