Official Broken Carboy Count.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Inspired by JefeTheVol’s Official Broken Hydrometer Count and concerns about carboys breaking expressed on Jroy’a Carboy VS. Thumb thread. (There was much concern for Jroy as well.)

I did a search of HBT in regards to carboys. There are plenty scary stories.

But not a running count.

How many carboys have you broken?

I’ll start.

I have to admit I've always been curious as to whether I was missing out on something by not fermenting in glass. I might buy a glass carboy someday just to satisfy my curiosity..

You might want to read some of the threads on here about what a PITA they can be if not how dangerous they can be. I think your BBs are a good way to go. You don't have to worry of them breaking and can still watch fermentation taking place.

One broken, probably due to letting PBW sit in it too long. It was empty and had been sitting there some time since I last used it. Went to pick it up and the bottom stayed on the floor! Checked 3 other glass ones I had and 2 of them had cracks in the bottom. Got a Better Bottle but screwed up on that one too by using PBW and letting it sit on the bottom. Lesson learned.

One broken, probably due to letting PBW sit in it too long. It was empty and had been sitting there some time since I last used it. Went to pick it up and the bottom stayed on the floor! Checked 3 other glass ones I had and 2 of them had cracks in the bottom. Got a Better Bottle but screwed up on that one too by using PBW and letting it sit on the bottom. Lesson learned.

Then that makes 4 so far

1 + 3 = 4

This thread went off track quickly and I contributed to that mostly.

Help guys?

We're at four.

= 4

Thank goodness my count is zero. Seeing Jroy's pics was the last straw for me. I had just gotten done selling most of my beer bottles since I just bought some kegs. I saw his pics and decided to sell my carboys as well. I do all of my fermenting in buckets anyway, so I figured I'd start lagering in my kegs. I get to use my kegs and I get to keep my thumbs. Win-win.

You might want to read some of the threads on here about what a PITA they can be if not how dangerous they can be. I think your BBs are a good way to go. You don't have to worry of them breaking and can still watch fermentation taking place.

Yeah I've seen quite a few threads on the issue, which is why I still haven't bought one. Perhaps you're right! I think I'll stick to my BB's!

The count is still at 4

I'm starting to think broken carboys are getting less common. Must be a combination of BB availability the movement away from secondary fermenters. Either that or people don't want to admit it.

I'm starting to think broken carboys are getting less common. Must be a combination of BB availability the movement away from secondary fermenters. Either that or people don't want to admit it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure but you're probably on to something there.

4 + 1 = 5

Mine just barely got knocked over and it practically exploded. After that I sold my other glass carboys ASAP and bought 5 of the PET carboys that MoreBeer carries, which I love, btw. I always tried to be extra careful around my glass carboys but accidents happen and I have a 5-year old that could have been seriously injured by the one that broke. Glass just ain't worth it to me.

When you ride a bicycle, you try not to say the F word for fear of pissing off the tire god. (The other F word :)) I could tell you a soccer ball exploded one a number of years ago, but I won't because you can be sure the carboy god is reading this thread. Now days, I keep the glass carboys in milk crates and always were gloves and shoes when I handle em.

I had two in my truck heading home from Kroge rto get some RO one fell into the other around a turn. Only smashed one though. No injuries to me or my dog. Scary as hell though Add another to the tally

When you ride a bicycle, you try not to say the F word for fear of pissing off the tire god. (The other F word :) I could tell you a soccer ball exploded one a number of years ago, but I won't because you can be sure the carboy god is reading this thread. Now days, I keep the glass carboys in milk crates and always were gloves and shoes when I handle em.

Two things, one advice the other something I just had a thought about.

I ride motorcycles and fully believe as stupid as it sounds in a ride bell. It keeps road demons away to motorcylce riders.. Might work well for cyclist as well.. Here's the long read if you would like http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/silverdragonlamp/HarleyBell.html

Maybe, a legend needs started about Carboy bells, good luck, something to keep the demons away..

Hell, if I ever use another carboy I'll put my Ridebell around her collar... won't hurt! :D

+1 carboy? Or +1 in agreence?

Also, I don't understand why Dan changed it from PassedPawn's 6 to 5.

I have to add one, so I don't know if the tally is 6 or 8.

Thanks! OMGoodniss... Haputanlas? Hope I spelled your handle right! Should have though since I quoted and copied..

So we are up to lets just say

add one to that. I broke it because I was stupid and inebriated and picked it up high to swirl around some star san. It slipped and fell on the ground. No injuries (except to my already pathetic pride). Lesson learned: do not be an idiot when handling large glass objects. Other than that, I own several and love the fact that they last forever if treated properly.

so 9 then

Okay.. Some body who is following my thread better than me please give an accurate broken count.. :pLEASE!

I haven't broken any, I think I have 7. I love them. I never brew drunk. Never. I don't handle carboys drunk. I plan carefully when I'm working with my brewing equipment (I've also never broken a hydrometer). I think if we slow down, look for possible dangers ahead of us and really focus on the task at hand 90-95% of broken carboys could be avoided. There are freak accidents but I think most of the time people just get sloppy. Sorry for getting on my high horse, it just really bothers me how drunk some people like to get when they brew and then wonder why they are having difficulties. Be sane out there! Brewing is an incredible hobby but it can also be quite dangerous.

I haven't broken any, I think I have 7. I love them. I never brew drunk. Never. I don't handle carboys drunk. I plan carefully when I'm working with my brewing equipment (I've also never broken a hydrometer). I think if we slow down, look for possible dangers ahead of us and really focus on the task at hand 90-95% of broken carboys could be avoided. There are freak accidents but I think most of the time people just get sloppy. Sorry for getting on my high horse, it just really bothers me how drunk some people like to get when they brew and then wonder why they are having difficulties. Be sane out there! Brewing is an incredible hobby but it can also be quite dangerous.

I have to agree with you. It's probably 95% risk management and the other five percent a bit carelessness.

Still though, in a hobby that often times brings on a bit of tipsidity (is that a word?) using glass might not be the best idea.

Just moving those things around totally sober it doesn't take much of a bump to break one.

And to my post above. I broke my first and only one the first time I used it. It was not the carboys fault but mine. Inexperienced trying to clean it.

But I won't use one again... what the heck is good for anyway. I can brew beer in a bucket and not worry about the sun or breaking it and if it gets scratched and harbors bacterial I'll replace it for ten bucks and use it for something else.

Make it 12. I broke one when I was cleaning it to move a beer into secondary. I was picking up the full carboy to move it off my patio to my grass to dump it. Didn't want to drop it and break it on the cement. Slipped from about 4 inches up, hit the cement and shattered. Had to secondary in one of my extra buckets.

Bump the count to 13.

I broke a five gallon secondary after using it FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Was a bit slippery, and I let it slip all of about four inches into a carboard box... that was sitting directly on a concrete floor. Sickening crack, and the bottom of the carboy stayed in the box when the rest was picked up.

I consider this to be operator error, and continue to use glass, albeit a bit more carefully.

Back