"Fermentation" Times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmm20010

Reaction score
So some recipes say let the wort "ferement" for 4 weeks and some say to "ferment" for about 2 weeks. My question is, will I ALWAYS benefit by letting my beer ferment for 4 weeks even if the recipe may call for less time?

The most accurate answer is that--given solid sanitation, of course-- you won't ever be harmed by leaving it for four weeks. Whether there's significant benefit from the extra two weeks is a matter of some debate here.

FWIW, my everyday beers (1.070 or less) almost never go beyond 10 days in fermenter unless I'm too busy to bottle or keg them, but then again I pitch the right amount of yeast with a starter and closely control my fermentation temps. I believe the current HBT party line is "4 weeks minimum", however, with an eye to letting the yeast clean up after themselves. As I said, there's generally no harm in it!

Piratwolf said:
The most accurate answer is that--given solid sanitation, of course-- you won't ever be harmed by leaving it for four weeks. Whether there's significant benefit from the extra two weeks is a matter of some debate here.

FWIW, my everyday beers (1.070 or less) almost never go beyond 10 days in fermenter unless I'm too busy to bottle or keg them, but then again I pitch the right amount of yeast with a starter and closely control my fermentation temps. I believe the current HBT party line is "4 weeks minimum", however, with an eye to letting the yeast clean up after themselves. As I said, there's generally no harm in it!

This.

My normal ales (not high OG, no fruit or dry hops) Get kegged at 14 days.

Like Piratwolf said there is probably no harm in leaving it longer. I have not seen that much of a benefit in my beers that I have left longer than two weeks, but I didn't see any detriment in them either...

Back