developing spice notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of Brewers Best Weizenbeir. Did a hydrometer test yesterday, and then chilled the sample overnight. Tried it this afternoon, couldn't detect any of the spice notes that I was expecting

Before you flame me, I kow, i'm drinking young beer. It needs to mature. age. go to high school and try out for the basketball team. I'm willing to wait.

My question is: do the spice notes characteristic to wheat beers yeasts develop over time or should I be tasting them even this early? The batch has been in primary for 2 weeks. Yeast was a dry Danstar Munich brewers yeast.

I think you would be able to sense that already, not sure if that yeast is known for producing a spicey note?

LHBW clerk recommended I sub a liquid yeast. guess next time I'll listen. I usually use the ingredients in the kit and the recommended schedule before experimenting.

It's probably best to just read through a list of yeast profiles dry or liquid to determine the characteristics your looking for, and decide based on that. The yeast that comes with the kit should provide a flavor profile in the description but i suppose it might not. Did this kit say you would get a beer with spicey notes?

Was the sample straight out of the fridge when you tried it?

I have a dubbel that has some nice peppery notes, some other spices and fruit when it warms up... straight out of the fridge it has marginally more flavor than Budweiser. That beer was in primary for two weeks, secondary for 1.5 months and has been in bottles over a month now... I do remember the pepperyness when I transferred to secondary.

Which yeast strain did you use? The "spice" notes in wits and Belgians come 100% from the yeast, so if you used a "clean" ale strain, you won't get any clove/banana flavor at all.

brewed that one. hbs guy reccomended a white labs 300 i believe. that allowed me to get the clove and banana. great brew

1. Yeast was the dry "Danstar Munich" brewers yeast that came with the ingredients kit
2. Yes, I drank it straight out of the fridge
3. Fermentation was at 72-75F althought the first day I tried it without the usual warm water bath and was at a much lower temperature (58F) switched to water bath and present gravity is right on schedule (1.011)
4. Per the danstar website for Munich yeast "... "typical bananna notes"

Back