Using Second Carboy - Basic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nywanna

Reaction score
I am transferring my first batch to a second carboy (at the encouragement of users here) - unfortunately my home brew kit instructions do not provide any instruction on this.

What I want to know is this: should I use the priming sugar in the second carboy or wait until I bottle the beer? Also, should I just transfer whatever I can to the second carboy (minus the stuff sitting at the bottom)? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Transfer as much of the beer as you can leaving the trub behind. Do not add the priming sugar until you are ready to bottle. Let is sit for a couple of weeks to let the beer clear, then bottle.

Priming sugar is just used when you are ready to bottle, so do not add it to your secondary.

As for racking, I tend to leave my racking cane a bit (3/8inch) above the trub on the bottom of the primary. Remember to sanitize everything and try not to disturb it too much, you do not want to add oxygen to the beer.

I haven't done this yet (coming soon), but the instructions that came with my kit says that you bring two cups of water to a boil on your stove and boil gently for 15 minutes, then cut the fire off, add about 5 ounces (3/4 cup) of dextrose (corn sugar) to the water, stir to dissolve, and pour it into your sanitized priming bucket. Siphon in the beer from your secondary and then you bottle.

I put the corner of a 1.5 inch cutting board under one edge of my carboy and let stuff settle again before starting to siphon. This tilts the carboy so you can get more of the beer out without sucking up the trub.

Back