Yeast culture from commercial beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
I love the tasty Belgian Trappist/Abbey style beers and would love to make a clone, but the recipes call for Wyeast or White Labs yeast, which sadly isn't avaliable in New Zealand. We do have a range of Muntons and Saf yeast here and the closest I can get is Saf K-97.
I'd like to attemt to culture the yeast from a Chimay and was wondering who has successfully done that from a commercial belgian before and what the results were like. I've heard that most breweries who bottle condition kill their famous yeast before bottling then condition them with a different strain.
If you know of a commercially available belgian beer which has the original yeast in it please post the name of it here. Tx.

I believe that chimay (and most trappists) have live yeast in the beer. The yeast character is an important part of the overall flavor of the brew, and pasteurizing it would kill that off. Your best bet would be to get a bottle of chimay, drop it down to just above freezing, carefully pour off the beer (into a glass, which you then drink, no need to waste), and culture the yeast as you normally would.

Back