Conflicting Logic with Cold-Crashing Starters/Yeast Bank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buglermcd

Reaction score
I've been giving a bit of thought on the idea of yeast banking, and basically relating it back to making starters.

I've heard that in yeast banking you want to "select" for the most highly flocculant yeast, to ensure that you have a clear beer (assuming that's your goal). By cold-crashing your bank, you make most/all yeast drop down, thereby getting all types of "flocculators" not just the most flocculant ones.

So by following the same logic, we should not cold-crash our starters (if the final wish is for clearer beer).

I know we're trying to get as many yeasties out of a starter as it is, but if your selecting the most flocculant yeast, you'll end up with clearer beer. Correct?

Or, have I missed a step, or five?

Personally, I DON'T want to select the most flocculant yeast. I freeze, and I want a good sample of all of it so I don't change the properties of the yeast in question. More flocculant may clear the beer better, but it may not ferment the same.

Back