Prming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjgrappler

Reaction score
I have a couple of pounds of priming sugar is there anyway I can use that instead of corn sugar for my Apfeilwein? I use Edworts recipe.

And just to shake it up...

I make cider (and bottle) with white sugar (cane or beet) and it works as well. In case you have 5 bottles of on sale apple juice waiting to burn a hole in a carboy.

Works fine. I do mine with notty yeast, as I like it a little sweeter than the wine yeast leaves it.

I just did pitch my first batch of EdWort's "like" Apfelwein. I say "like" because my LHBS didn't have the yeast that he uses...so I'm using some Wyeast 4028 Chateau R.

I followed this thread because they didn't have any pails of Corn Sugar...so I bought 6 - 5 oz packets of "Priming Sugar" (aka corn sugar)...

Hope it turns out great... I usually keep Apple Cider on tap...but the Vinoka Cider Press Kits are up around $50 plus shipping... So, if EdWort's Apfelwein grows on me...it sure will keep a few extra bucks in the old wallet. Just hope I can remember to drink the mandatory water and aspirin after a session so I don't wake up the next morning cursing EdWort for inventing this elixer :)

Cheers

Yes the water is a must and also take the advice of everyone who makes it. Wait a week or two and start another batch lol. I didn't and now i'm regretting it lol.

EdWort invented apple juice and yeast?

Not really inventing. Just bringing it to the forefront of popularity in America.

I guess the old areas around Frankfurt have been devouring the stuff for centuries.

I used to fly over to Germany all the time... very sad that I never stopped into an Apfelwein bar to knock back a few.

Back