Bottling Old Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasgorff

Reaction score
I brewed my first shot at a sour beer and its tasting good to go!!! Now I have got a ton of questions about bottling.

1. Is there enough active yeast in suspension still after over a year to just add priming sugar and call it a day? (This is my ideal situation)

Or

2. Will I need to introduce another strain of yeast at bottling to ensure that carbonation takes place?

If its only a waiting issue with method one (obviously taking longer than the typical 2 - 3 weeks that is what I would go with.

Anybody with any tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Brew On!

I would add fresh yeast at bottling to be sure. It's possible there is viable yeast left, but it's better safe than sorry. Any yeast will do, I'd likely use a dry yeast like Edme for this.

Any need to creat a starter or anything or just sprinkle in a pack of dry? Do you have to wait any period of time before bottling or just rack into bottling bucket with a pack of dry yeast in it? Thanks, appreciate the info!

thomas, no need to make a starter with dry yeast and no need to wait. Sprinkling the dry yeast into the bottling bucket will work fine. Happy bottling!

Back