Brooklyn Sorachi Ace IBUs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
Does anyone know how many IBUs are in Brooklyn Brewmaster Reserve Beer Sorachi Ace? Their website says it has an OG of 14 Plato, which is 1.057 and a final ABV of 6.5%, but it doesn't list the IBUs.

Does anyone know, or could you help me figure out about how many IBUs this type of beer should have considering the OG and the style? It's a saison. Thanks so much for the help.

Eric

Sorry this is so late but I just tasted this beer last week and I thought it was amazing..And as all homebrewers do we say..Man I wish I could clone this. I got in touch with Dan from Brooklyn Brewery who was really helpful providing the IBU's and the grain bill. I haven't worked out all the specifics yet but I am definitely going to try and make this soon.

Weyerman Pilsner (48%)
GlenEagles Maris Otter(48%)
Crystal 10? (2%) - He did not specify what crystal so I assumed 10 because its so light
IBU’s = 35.
WLP 550 or Wyeast 1214 - Brooklyn uses a house strain Belgain yeast so I figured one of these would be ok.
Sorachi Ace Hops
Dry Hopped with Sorachi Ace
ABV 7.5% - The website shows 6.5% but ratebeer and other sites show 7.5%. The next time I pick one up I'll look.

There is no orange peel, ginger or any spices at all in the beer which I thought was unusual for a saison. Due to the pilsner malt I would assume a 90 minute boild so you may need some extra sparge water to boil down probably 1.5 gallons worth of water depending on your system.

Thanks for your help! I ended up going ahead with my clone recipe. Just by guessing, my recipe is kinda close to this. I didn't split the bill between pilsner and maris. I did 80% pilsner 10% wheat and 10% C-20L (% are close but not exact). I used White Labs 565 and it worked well. I used mostly Sorachi Ace hops but I found a package of Citra hops at the store and used some of them too in both the boil and for dry hopping. This is the best beer I've ever made. It's so tasty and thirst quenching. Good thing I made 10 gallons of it. I will definitely be doing this again. Maybe I'll give the grain bill you gave a try. I think the Maris would give it a bit more malt. Thanks!

Thanks for your help! I ended up going ahead with my clone recipe. Just by guessing, my recipe is kinda close to this. I didn't split the bill between pilsner and maris. I did 80% pilsner 10% wheat and 10% C-20L (% are close but not exact). I used White Labs 565 and it worked well. I used mostly Sorachi Ace hops but I found a package of Citra hops at the store and used some of them too in both the boil and for dry hopping. This is the best beer I've ever made. It's so tasty and thirst quenching. Good thing I made 10 gallons of it. I will definitely be doing this again. Maybe I'll give the grain bill you gave a try. I think the Maris would give it a bit more malt. Thanks!

Your recipe sounds great, would you happen to know your hop addition times and amounts. I plan on making something close to what you described.

:mug:
-wade

Sorry this is so late but I just tasted this beer last week and I thought it was amazing..And as all homebrewers do we say..Man I wish I could clone this. I got in touch with Dan from Brooklyn Brewery who was really helpful providing the IBU's and the grain bill. I haven't worked out all the specifics yet but I am definitely going to try and make this soon.

Weyerman Pilsner (48%)
GlenEagles Maris Otter(48%)
Crystal 10? (2%) - He did not specify what crystal so I assumed 10 because its so light
IBU’s = 35.
WLP 550 or Wyeast 1214 - Brooklyn uses a house strain Belgain yeast so I figured one of these would be ok.
Sorachi Ace Hops
Dry Hopped with Sorachi Ace
ABV 7.5% - The website shows 6.5% but ratebeer and other sites show 7.5%. The next time I pick one up I'll look.

There is no orange peel, ginger or any spices at all in the beer which I thought was unusual for a saison. Due to the pilsner malt I would assume a 90 minute boild so you may need some extra sparge water to boil down probably 1.5 gallons worth of water depending on your system.

Did you end up brewing this recipe, if so how did it turn out and what were your hop addition times and amounts.

Thanks

I haven't brewed it yet but I think I want it to be my next brew. Its only 35 ibu's so I think you can do 1 ounce for the 60 minute addition and then maybe 2 more ounces for dry hop. I'll post it back when I come up with the recipe.

wade,

I'm at work now, but tonight when I get home I'll look up my hop schedule for my recipe. I just had one of these the other day (since summer is on its way) and it is a fantastic beer. I plan to brew it again very soon.

Has anyone attempted this recipe yet..it looks very tasty!

I'm making up a recipe right now that I hope to brew in a few weeks. I will post it as soon as its done. I bought it the other day and noticed it is 7.5% abv but I was going to brew mine to 6-6.5%abv so its a little more drinkable. I paid $12 for a bomber of this so hopefully if I can make a good clone I would definitely be saving some money..lol

So in the December 2011 issue of BYO, it says the the only fermentables in Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace are pilsner malt and dextrose. Can anyone confirm which recipe is correct? Marries Otter and Crystal 10/20 L would definitely change the flavor profile, so before I try to clone this, I just want to see what the experience has been from you all.

Here is the recipe from Dec 2011 BYO.

Batch Size:5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.95 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 72.00
IBU's: 37.2 IBUs
Est. SRM: 2.3 SRM
total hops: 225.00 g
grain wight: 12 lbs
Pre-boil grav: 1.056 SG
Est. OG: 1.068 SG
Est. FG: 1.011 SG
Est. ABV: 7.4 %
Equipment: My Brewing Gray
Style: 16C Saison

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 1 91.7 %
1 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 2 8.3 %
14.00 g Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.6 IBUs
14.00 g Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 12.6 IBUs
140.00 g Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

use either yeast

1.0 pkg Belgian Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1214) [124.21 ml] Yeast 6 -
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 ml] Yeast 7 -
57.00 g Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash
Mash Steps

122.0 F 10 min
146.0 F 60 min
152.0 F 15 min
Mashout 168.0 F

I ended up brewing the recipe from BYOweigh an additional 4 oz of crystal 20. I kegged it two days ago after dry hopping for two weeks. I did not go with the step mash. Rather, I mashed at 151F for 60 minutes.

It's still too young to form a real opinion, and I'll report back once I get my hands on the Brooklyn version. For now, the sorachi ace are really pronounced and (obviously) come through in both flavor and aroma. Body is pretty thin, and there's limited carbonation. I like the combo of the hops with 1214; lemon pepper comes to mind. I'll let it be for a week or two before trying it again.

Holy Crap! Is that really like 8oz of Sorachi Ace in a 5 gal batch?!

I am planning on doing 10 gal batch of Saison this weekend with Sorachi Ace but I only have 2 oz!

I just checked the recipe again. That's right 5 oz at end of boil and 2 oz dry hop. With a total hops of 8 oz for a 5 gallon batch.
I listed the hop schedule again this time with the oz listed.

.5 oz (14.00 g) Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 24.6 IBUs
.5 oz (14.00 g) Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 12.6 IBUs
5 oz (140.00 g) Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

2 oz (57.00 g) Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

How did this recipe turn out? Was thinking about trying it, but moving the 30 min addition to 10 min and doing a 15 min whirlpool at flameout. Did anyone try using the champagne yeast in the secondary or when priming?

Brewing this on Monday with the changes I mentioned in my previous post. May throw a small amount of French oak in there too

Tried this for my 1st all grain:

13.2# Pilsen 2-Row - Bel.

.5oz Sorachi Ace FWH
.5oz Sorachi Ace 30 min.
5oz Sorachi Ace Flame Out

Mash: Single infusion, 148-149F, 60 min.

Pitched 2 vials of WLP500 at 72 - 74F

I added 20% to the grain bill, skipped the 1lb. cane sugar, and aimed for a 150F mash. Missed the mark, tried to add a gallon of 200F water, no change in temp. Closed the cooler, walked away for 60 min. Temp of 148 - 149F maintained.

Collected unknown amount of wort. Added a gal of water (it splashed a bit, hope that doesn't oxidize anything) to be on the safe side.

Post boil, collected 4.5 - 5 gal of wort, my guess.

Wort SG 1.042
Post boil: 1.050

Beersmith basically says I missed all my marks. Color, OG, everything. Then again, there is no no sparge" option in BS.
I misunderstood the process as well, I should have used more water in the mash to reach a 5 gal. batch.

8 hours in - Ambient temp 68 - 70F - No sign of fermentation in airlock. Anemic film of tiny bubbles on the top. That has to mean something's going on, it'd just be still and brown without any film at all if it was a dud right?

16 hours in - Ambient 68 - 70F - Still nothing to feel good about. Called brew shop, asked if I could aerate and maybe add some yeast nutirent. As expected, they told me to hold off and sit tight. 5 min. go by, and the air lock bubbles. Bless their little yeasty hearts. I put the carboy in a bin with water, and added 4 ice packs. Temp. of surrounding water in the 66F range or lower. By morning it should warm up. Trying to cool the carboy glass ahead of time, before the yeast really get going. Even though estery floral funky is the style, all my partial/extract beers have been hot fermentations in the 70's and they'll all been too estery. I'm sure WLP500 is going to be estery floral funky in the 64 - 70+F range.

8/1 - Every second a bubble, not churnin', just crusin'. The Krausen got more chunky and raised a bit throughout the day. Water around the carboy is 63F. Put in less ice packs, want it to rise a bit. I'm assuming inside the carboy it's 65-70F. Want to make sure I get my funk though. Smells like heaven.

8/6 - Fermentation was mellow, still burping the gas lock today. Clarifying a bit more everyday. Allowed the temp to rise to 70F ambient around 8/2.

I just kegged this beer from the recipe I posted above. I over shot by a couple points most likely due to increased boil off rate. Ended up with a 7.6 ABV beer. The pilsner malt and Sorachi hops really make a brilliant yellow beer. Sunshine in a glass. I used the Belgian Abbey yeast. End result?

Super dry farmhouse beer with a ton of esters, that mixed with the hops give the beer a taste like its been aged in an oak barrel. Hoping a little age with tone down the oakiness and bring out the malt and hop flavor more

Sorry for not getting back to everyone earlier. I had to forget about this beer to serve it at my wedding reception. It was a small affair, we had several bottles of wine, 8 cases of SweetWater, and my 4.5 gallon Sorachi Ace saison. We ended up with just under 8 cases of SweetWater and my empty keg. The supply of SW was nice, but I miss that beer.

Gold in the glass. Juicy Sorachi Ace flavor and aroma. Smells of lemon, freshness, smooth funk, cream and butter. Very refreshing, like it's almost a dry beer. Crisp. Easy drinking. The funk and the hop worked very well together at a low fermentation temp.

0265.jpg

I've tried this twice since brewing it originally.

Currently I have a high mash version fermenting. I mashed at 155F and added a touch of C20, Vienna, and Wheat. Switched to Wyeast 1214. Added various other hops keeping Sorachi the major player.

I'll post pics and update ASAP.

Back