New Belgium French Aramis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtodd22

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this beer? I saw it tonight and my excitement grew as it always does when NB releases a new brew.

I can honestly say this is the first time I've been disappointed by a NB beer. It's pretty gross. I got strong notes of raw pumpkin and grass. The grass was intentional, I think, but it was just not good... Especially as an IPA example.

Am I alone on this?

I tried it over the weekend and enjoyed it. I'd like to brew with those hops but have not been able to find them anywhere. I got the grassy notes but not the raw pumpkin.

i haven't tried the NB brew; but i recently brewed up a recipe of my own using only Aramis hops and got quite a different impression. (if you want to see what i did, i posted about it here: Aramis hops (and basic recipe).)

in my experience, the Aramis hops have been intensely -- almost overwhelmingly -- floral. (to the extent that if i were thinking of making a jasmine IPA, i might instead think of just using a lot of Aramis; and would surely use that as my flavor/aroma hop choice to complement any actual jasmine.) although there are definitely grassy notes, for me they reveal themselves more in the bitterness that lingers after the initial floral notes.

in certain respects, the hop might be too much like drinking a beer in a florist's shop to appeal to some tastes; but i think it's got a lot of potential for brewers who like to experiment.

(sorry if this is somewhat off-topic to the particular NB brew.)

I sit here drinking a bomber of this odd ale, not sure what to think. It is no way drinks like an IPA and that is ok, but if you cal it an IPA I have certain expectations and it confuses me. The bitterness is just not what I expect, it is rated at 70 some ibus, but drinks like 30. Could be my bottle I guess but it is dated 08dec13,so not old. It is certainly dry, but not sure I love the flower shop effect all that much.

I like that NB takes risks with their beers, and some are weird but awesome, others not so good. I think their Pumpkin is horrible, but love many of their belgian style special bombers.

Latest posts

Back