Using Twist off Bottles for capping beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richwyso

Reaction score
I was just curious what people thought about using twist off bottles to put their beer in and cap. I have a handheld capper and the first two batches i have done i have just used twist off bottles and capped them. They seemed fine in terms of taste. I didn't have any break on me or anything. Is there anything wrong with capping a twist off bottle? Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

I was just curious what people thought about using twist off bottles to put their beer in and cap. I have a handheld capper and the first two batches i have done i have just used twist off bottles and capped them. They seemed fine in terms of taste. I didn't have any break on me or anything. Is there anything wrong with capping a twist off bottle? Has anyone else done this? Thanks!

No, I don't have nor use any twist off glass bottles. But I'm curious, are these holding in carbonation?

Rick

No, I don't have nor use any twist off glass bottles. But I'm curious, are these holding in carbonation?

Rick

the second batch tasted great. It had great carbonation. I will have to try the same recipe and try it in a regular bottle and see if there is any difference in taste.

You won't get a difference in taste. If the cap does not hold preasure the beer will go flat. Well, flat (finished) beer does not taste great.

You won't get a difference in taste. If the cap does not hold preasure the beer will go flat. Well, flat (finished) beer does not taste great.

well that's the thing it didnt taste flat at all. It was carbonated and it held great flavor. I have been drinking enough beer in my life that even though i am a noob i can taste the difference between a flat and carbonated beer. :)

I do have a bunch of non twist off bottles too (now that i have tried really good beers ha) that i can use those too. I will probably just invest in buying some beers bottles too.. Thanks for the help

Thats all ive used.
Some say canadas bottles work better i dont know.
Ive had beer in twist off bottles for 3 years no problems maybe luck.
I use a double leaver capper.
Just dont let rootbeer get too warm in them you just touch the cap and the bottle is empty.
my 2 cents dave

If they seal, they will be OK. You are more likely to get a leak than you would with a regular bottle.

One thing I have read (I don't know how true it is), is that screw-top bottles are weaker than regular bottles.

Has anyone ever used Mason Jars to bottle? Got tons of Mason Jars and wondered. There is of course the southern charm of drinking a home brewed product from a Mason Jar,

Has anyone ever used Mason Jars to bottle? Got tons of Mason Jars and wondered. There is of course the southern charm of drinking a home brewed product from a Mason Jar,

You cannot do this. The Mason jar is designed to be strong with a vacuum inside to seal closed. They will explode if exposed to carbonation pressures.

When I first started out I used twist off bottles because that's all I had at the time. If you get a bench capper you can cap them easily. I would not recommend using the wing capper for twist offs. I don't recall ever having any problems with the twist off bottles as far as holding pressure.

Back