How fast is fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymack

Reaction score
Hi,

Im really worried now as it's been just over 4 days since I went into my primary and I've got NO bubbling. I check in the morning (7:30ish) and again at night (7:00). Is it possible that fermenation has taken place and I never saw the bubbles due to rapid change?
Solution?

Thanks,
J

Are you using an opaque bucket or a carboy? It's particularly possible with a plastic bucket type fermenter if the lid is not secure. Prise of the lid and look for sign of krausen (thick foamy head on your beer that indicates fermentation)...either actual foam or a ring around your fermenter an inch or two above the level of the beer that would indicate there was foam. If there is no sign at all of krausen your fermentation never started. By 4 days it should most likely be done, or near enough.

I've had stealth ferments (got one in the primary now). You can check for krausen, etc., but a hydrometer is the only real peace of mind.

My pumpkin beer didn't start fermenting for about four days. What type of yeast did you use, what is your temp, and as has been mentioned, is it possible that air is escaping some other way?

Back