Donuts In Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INWarner413

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Bacon Breakfast Stout this weekend and had the random idea of throwing a dozen donuts into the mash. Although I'm well aware this may end up doing nothing, does anyone know if it would cause any harm? Oils, fats, etc.?

I'm guessing the high fat content wouldn't exactly go very well.;) Also donuts use a lot of fake stuff in them. I personally wouldn't want anything strange that is unnatural in my beer like coloring and chemical flavorings.

BTW, what is the "bacon" part of your recipe?

I'm guessing the high fat content wouldn't exactly go very well.;)

BTW, what is the "bacon" part of your recipe?

Yeah, I figured I might be asking for trouble. Just trying to think of how to incorporate more breakfast foods into the brew.

For the "bacon" part, I'm going to use some rauch malt and cherry-wood smoked malt, then when in secondary, I'm going to "dry hog" - cook bacon, dry the crap out of it, then put it into the fermenter. I did it before with a rauchbier, and it was bacon heaven.

Been wanting to try the Rogue Bacon Voodoo Doughnut despite the negative reviews.

I wonder if you can render enough fat out of the bacon during the cooking and drying process to not screw up the fermentation and head retention.

Stick them in the mash tun, I have found that putting things where folks worry about the fat/oil content, in with the grain, allows the grain to act as a sponge and filter and keep the fats out.

I've been successful with tortilla chips, chocolate and gingersnap cookies in beers.

Here's my gingersnap brown ale thread.

Stuff like putting donuts in the mash tun is pretty much standard fare for Iron Brewer Competitions.

Stick them in the mash tun, I have found that putting things where folks worry about the fat/oil content, in with the grain, allows the grain to act as a sponge and filter and keep the fats out.

I've been successful with tortilla chips, chocolate and gingersnap cookies in beers.

Here's my gingersnap brown ale thread.

Stuff like putting donuts in the mash tun is pretty much standard fare for Iron Brewer Competitions.

Thanks Revvy! Just might go crazy with this one, then.

Alrighty, got this thang brewed tonight. Here was my final recipe [calculated at a pretty ****ty 60% efficiency]:

Mash @154 for 60 Minutes with 7.25 gallons of water; Batch Sparged with 2.5 gallons of water @168
8.75# Two-Row
7# Rauch
1.75# Cherrywood Smoked
1.85# Flaked Oats
1.35# Chocolate
1# Roasted Barley
.75# Black Patent
.60# Caramel 120
6 Glazed Donuts [Cut into ~16 pieces per donut]
.5# ChocoChomp Cereal [http://mombrands.com/our-brands/bear-river-valley/choco-chomp/]
.5# Light Granola Mix

Boil 60 Minutes
1.4 oz Nugget

Boil 30 Minutes
.6 oz Nugget

End of Boil
1# Light Brown Sugar
.5# Cocoa Powder
1 oz Willamette
2 oz Cacao Nibs
2.5 oz Chocolate Creme Coffee [ground]
3.5 oz Ghirardelli 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Baking Bar

Primary
Ferment 7 days with US-05 yeast

Secondary
2 oz Cacao Nibs
2.5 oz Hawaiian Grog Coffee [ground]
1# Bacon [Baked to a crisp and dried of as much grease as humanly possible; removed after 4 days]
5 poblano peppers [smoked and dehydrated]

Latest posts

Back