starter kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
I've been looking at starter kits online and was hoping to get a complete system that could brew 10 gallon batches (I have a very high tolerance:D) but wow are those pricey! was thinking about maybe two 5 gallon kits? Can anyone recommend a good quality 5 gallon starter kit? thanks in advance

I've been looking at starter kits online. I was hoping to get a complete system that could brew 10 gallon batches (I have a very high tolerance:D) but wow are those pricey! was thinking about maybe two 5 gallon kits? Can anyone recommend a good quality 5 gallon starter kit? thanks in advance

i like morebeer.com because they have free shipping but there's alot stuff on back order. If your gonna get alot of stuff or heavy stuff check out there if not i also like northernbrewer.com

my gf bought me the deluxe kit from northern brewer for Christmas. its pretty sweet. im in their almost weekly, i get good customer support when i go to buy supplies. ive also been in Midwest supplies. im not sure on their starter kits. since i live 15 min from either location, i find myself comparing prices and making multiple stops. all in all i think you will be happy with either of the stores. DJ

Look at Austin homebrew supply. They have everything you need, great starter kits, and $7.99 flat rate shipping. I love those guys!

I would suggest 5 gallon batches to start off with, try a bunch of different recipes. Buy a few extra plastic fermenters and get a big supply line going now. Don't even worry about using a secondary.

I would definitely agree with going with Austin Homebrew.

They have great equipment, are incredibly helpful, flat rate shipping and get things in the mail super quick.

Last time, I ordered on Wednesday night *late Wednesday night* and the package was on my doorstep by the time I got home on Friday. Granted, I live in Texas.

Also, you should check out Midwest Homebrewing Supplies (http://www.midwestsupplies.com). I've never ordered from them, but I've yet to hear a bad review of their service and/or products.

Thanks for the tips fellas, I'm really looking forward to my first batch at home. So far my experience is limited to following simple instructions laid out for me at my favorite brew-on-premises pub. Going there tomorrow to bottle my third batch :rockin: So I'm only at the point of trying to figure out what equipment I'll need for home. After using such nice facilities and equipment I don't think I can just settle for a Mr.Beer :D

thanks for the heads up guys. I don't know how the hell I posted the same thread twice but I did - sorry for the confusion.

A Keggle and Turkey fryer are a great way to start doing 10gal extract batches! Just add a chiller!

Keggle $50
cheap turky fryer $30
immersion chillre for 10gal batches $50
2x 5gal fermenters $30
2x airlocks $5
hoses $5-10
autosiphon $10
+ whatever else you may need.

A Keggle and Turkey fryer are a great way to start doing 10gal extract batches! Just add a chiller!

Keggle $50
cheap turky fryer $30
immersion chillre for 10gal batches $50
2x 5gal fermenters $30
2x airlocks $5
hoses $5-10
autosiphon $10
+ whatever else you may need.

Keggles are awesome but would be a pain to start out with. finding one, then gathering fittings, and cutting them. Plus if you use welded fittings that's another headache. Also most kits you buy online are 5 gal. I'm in the process of building two of them right now because I'm at a stage that I've outgrown smaller batches. Its been a pain but then again i'm going welded with thermometer and siteglass.

Can anyone vouch for any of the kits below...wondering the price differences and quality of the material provided...

Northernbrewer - Deluxe Beer Starter Kit $156.
Midwestsupplies - EVERYTHING + A CARBOY - Complete Brewing Equipment Kit #2 - $170
Austinhomebrew - Super Deluxe Beer Making Equipment Kit - $240

So which kit did you end up buying? :mug:

wow, my first thread! I ended up getting the coopers starter kit. just wanted to get something fermenting at home to get me through the basic stuff like sanitation. It came with the basic stuff, a nice bottling bucket, hydrometer, ect.. first and last kit in a can for me though, started gathering other equipment as needed

IMG_1471.jpg

That is a great picture!

I'm gonna take the radical view that you should purchase the cheapest starter kit you can on the grounds that a lot of 'starter' equipment will eventually be upgraded if you stick with the hobby. The cheapest Northern Brewer kit is a GREAT buy because it includes an auto-siphon while not messing around with a secondary carboy that beginner brewers won't need.

My argument is instead of buying a big kit (with lots of stuff you don't actually need), save your money for the big investments you WILL need, like that 7.5 or heaven forbid 15 gallon kettle, wort chiller, burner, etc.

Back