Weldless Valve on Aluminum Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time with adding a drain valve on my aluminum pot. I got everything tightened down without the silicone o-rings first (to flatten the pot's curve.) Then I took everything apart and taped up the threaded nipple with teflon, attached it to the coupling, put on the washer and the o-ring, and inserted it through the hole from the inside. Then i put on the other o-ring, the other washer, and the lock nut and tightened everything down. The o-rings keep wanting to slip out when I tighten, but I eventually got it pretty tight without the rings slipping out. Then I attached the ball valve. After doing this about 5 times, I'm still getting a very slow drip (about one drip every 10 or 15 minutes). Should I just leave it and not worry about it? Bugs me...

Thanks for your advice.

Is the hole clean and free of burrs? That would be a big issue to me. I had to spend 20 min deburring a hole just because of what you are describing. I had a little smooth "lip" on the inside of the pot and until it was gone... drip....drip...drip...

thanks, i'll check that. i spent a while on it, but it's pretty thin aluminum and i didn't want to make the hole too big in the process of filing it smooth.

I have a weldless on a pretty thin aluminum pot as well. I couldn't get it to stop leaking either. I deburred and it still leaked a bit. I just gave up, I don't care if it drips, and after a 60 min boil burnt wort sealed it up!

I ditched the o rings. I was going to buy some nipples for baby bottles and cut them into washers but SWMBO bought some silicone funnels at Christmas tree shops they look just like these .$1.99 fior a three pack now I make any size washer that I need

silicone.jpg

I ended up getting a silicone hot pad and cutting my own silicone o-rings. I made them much thicker, so they don't slip out nearly as easily. Got it all tightened down and working perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion stringer.

0,0,236,19242,450,338,907a6fe9.jpg

Back