Springtime/Summertime PM Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've now done 3 extract kits with specialty grains, and one partial mash kit. I think I am ready to do my first Partial Mash brew starting from a recipe, where I go to my LHBS and buy all the ingredients, rather than going from a kit.

This is where all of you come in. With the sheer amount of recipes on the internet, where I'm sure some are amazing and some are horrible, I am definitely not yet confident enough in my own judgment to pick one completely on my own.

I want to brew something lighter for springtime/summertime. Something where you are out working in the yard and want something refreshing and light, unlike the Brown Ale or IPA I have in bottles right now.

I have a 5 gallon brew kettle and plan on doing a partial mash in a nylon mesh bag for the grains. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a Blonde Ale or Amber Ale (or something else, Kolsh, etc.) that would fit my needs?

Just put my first batch of the orange/cascade pale ale from the recipe page in primary late last night for the spring and it smelled amazing going in...my .02 for what it's worth...KCCO

Thanks for the input guys. After looking into it I think I'll give that centennial blonde a shot. I'll just have to adjust the all grain amounts and boil volume to something I can manage with my equipment doing a partial mash.

I'm going to try to keep the BG the same and add the extract at the end of the boil. I'm thinking for the 5 gallon batch I will substitute 4 lbs of the 2-row for extract and do a 3.5 gallon boil.

I searched through it for a PM recipe and the only thing listed was an extract recipe with steeping specialty grains. That's not a partial mash in my book because you aren't actually mashing anything or getting any base fermentables out of actual grain.

I'm going to end up using the whole grain bill for the 5 gallon recipe, except leave out 4 pounds of 2 row and instead use close to 3 pounds of extract instead.

I got all the ingredients yesterday and will be brewing this tonight! I can't wait!

WannabeBeerNerd said:
Just put my first batch of the orange/cascade pale ale from the recipe page in primary late last night for the spring and it smelled amazing going in...my .02 for what it's worth...KCCO

KCCO. Awesome! Chive on.

Back