Flour and beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanLouis

Reaction score
I read about some breweries including Moonshrimp using sorghum flour in the brewing process. If this works, can I use my gfree flours and if so can I put them in my nylon sack like I do for my malted grains?

I've added corn flour to a beer before. Can't really tell you the effect of it though as it was one of my very first beers and they were all really bad. Also used sorghum flour in one, and I can't really tell you about that either as I screwed up on some of it. So would need to try again. I just say try it, go for it, and see what happens. :)

You can use flour to give your beers a hazy appearance. If you would say, want to make a pale look like a hefe. It might also add a bit of mouthfeel.

A recipe in extreme brewing uses wheat flour. Can't remember which one however.

Do you get any fermentables off of flour? I have a ton of gfree flour

You can but you will have lautering problems. You will also need a source of enzymes for conversion. Malted millet has the strongest.

Back